Need Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eastside Brewer

Reaction score
Okay, so I brewed all grain pale ale today, hit all my numbers right up to pre-boil. then post boil OG is supposed to be 1.063 and I only hit 1.055. How is this possible??

Anyway, most of you will want more details to give a relevant answer, I just need to know if there is anything I can do to 10 gallons of wort sitting in a fermenter at 1.055 before I pitch yeast to up the OG to 1.063. Any suggestions??

Eastside

did you top the wort off with any water after brewing to reach 10gal? That would make you miss the gravity.

Yeah, you probably just didn't boil off as much water as expected. You could re-boil to reduce your volume a little more (and lose some hop flavor and aroma) or just deal with it and say "oh well, this beer will be a little lighter than I expected".

Thanks guys, it is definitely a boil off issue. I bought the new beersmith and it was set at 22% boil off rate and I never checked it. My actual boil off rate was 12%. So I end up with 11 gallons @ 1.057 instead of 10 gallons @ 1.063. I'm thinking ill just let it ride.

Although I'm curious, what is spray malt??

Back