Need help with my first home brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growler96

Reaction score
i recently picked up a home brew kit and decided to get the brewers best German Oktoberfest lager but I didn’t realize until it was too late that I was unable to ferment a lager.. luckily the yeast included can ferment like an ale but now I am confused as to how long it needs to sit in Primary fermentation or if I should be doing a secondary fermentation and when to transfer if I do.. any help is appreciated!

Just ferment it in the coolest area of the house (within yeast temp range) or do the swamp cooler (sit the fermenter in a tub of water with a wet towel over it to wick moisture)

Ferment an absolute minimum of 1 week but you should really go for 2 weeks to allow it to clean up and clear up. If you can wait longer than those 2 weeks it would only be of benefit to the final product.

Do not transfer or otherwise mess with it until you are ready to bottle. I'm assuming you don't have a hydrometer. If you do, use it to verify completion by taking two readings over a few days that are the same.

Add the appropriate priming sugar to a bucket. Move the finished beer to this bucket without splashing (create a swirl with the hose to mix) move from that bucket to individual bottles and cap.

Set them someplace warmish for 2-3 weeks. Move a couple to the fridge for a day and then give it a try. (Pour slowly without gluging leaving the last bit of sediment behind) If carbonated enough you can refrigerate the rest. If not wait another week. They will mellow, blend, compact the sediment and clear while in the refrigerator.

Don't over think it.
Take your time
Have patience
Be clean and sanitary
Expose to air as little as possible

I just had a look at that kit. Their picture shows Saflager S-23 - is that the yeast you have? If it is, DON'T ferment it warm! If you have Saflager W34/70, you can ferment warm. S-23 becomes quite estery and fruity when fermented warm.

Thanks for the advice, lots of help.. I’ll forget about the secondary fermentation and just do 2-3 weeks in the ale pale it is currently in.. as for the yeast it is the saflager-23, As for now the best I can really do is keep it steady at 64 for the fermentation..

I didn't realise you'd already brewed it. S-23 isn't ideal at ale temps, but you'll still get beer, and it'll probably still be better than half the stuff you buy. It's not going to taste at all like a lagered oktoberfest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it turned out tasting more like a malty English Bitter.

I didn't realise you'd already brewed it. S-23 isn't ideal at ale temps, but you'll still get beer, and it'll probably still be better than half the stuff you buy. It's not going to taste at all like a lagered oktoberfest, I actually wouldn't be surprised if it turned out tasting more like a malty English Bitter.

Now I know for next time! I love English bitters and as long as it doesn’t taste skunky I’m happy! Just super excited to be brewing

Update on the batch: bubbling in the airlock has slowed down substantially and I am 4 days into fermentation. It is bubbling once every 13 seconds.. is this normal for the date of bubbling to slow down? When should I start taking FG to determine completion

I think fermentation is close to being finished. You do however want to do a diacetyl rest at some point, for at least 3-5 days. But I guess you can take a FG reading at 7 days and one more 5 days later. Then package whenever you want.

Update on the batch: bubbling in the airlock has slowed down substantially and I am 4 days into fermentation. It is bubbling once every 13 seconds.. is this normal for the date of bubbling to slow down? When should I start taking FG to determine completion

I'd suggest you take the first hydrometer sample on day 10 and compare it to what the kit's instructions say it should be. If it is close to that (to verify that fermentation went to completion), check it again on day 14 and if it matches the day 10 reading, bottle it. If it has changed from the day 10 reading, wait another 2-4 days and sample again. Repeat as necessary until the readings match(most likely the day 10 and day 14 will match but you need to be sure).

I've been brewing for about 10 years and in that time have had one "stuck ferment" where the yeast stopped before completion. Bottling that one would have resulted in a full case or 2 of bottle bombs.

Back