Need Help with Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

A friend just gave me a beer kit that he has had around for awhile and never got to. I looks like its a partial mash kit with 6 lbs of barely malt extract. I can only take a guess at what kind of beer kit this is as there were no instructions!!! So I am guessing it is a oatmeal cream stout of some kind because I think the small rectangular powder is lactose. I have attached some pictures of this to help determine what this is. Can someone help me out with what kind of kit this is and instructions for making it? He says he bought it from midwest supplies but I cant seem to find one of their extract kits that contain these same hops. They are 1 oz of Willamette hops and 1 oz of Nugget Pellet Hops. Any ideas? I have never made an extract kit before I just went right into AG. Thanks!

20140418_093543_resized.jpg

20140418_093549_resized.jpg

20140418_093559_resized.jpg

I'm guessing an oatmeal stout? And it's an E/SG (Extract with Steeping Grains) kit. No base malts in that pic.

Looks like a maybe a oatmeal milk stout or something similar.

I'd plug the amount of extract you have into a brewing calculator to see what gravity it gives you for 3, 4 and 5 gallons. It may be a partial boil that you'd want to account for.

Looks like Oatmeal stout should be OG: 1.048 – 1.065 or thereabouts.

Do you think that the small white powder is lactose? There isnt a whole lot there? Also do you know of anywhere I can get instructions for this kit?

Thanks

After more research I think this is the kit. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/irish-stout.html

However I still can not figure out what that small packet of white powder is?

This is the description of ingredients from midwest

Ingredients include:
6 lb. dark liquid malt extract,
4 oz. Chocolate Malt,
4 oz. Caramel 10L,
4 oz. Roasted Barley,
4 oz. Flaked Barley specialty grain,
1/2 oz. Nugget,
1 oz. Willamette pellet hops,
yeast,
priming sugar
and a grain bag

I've never shopped Midwest, but Northern Brewer which I believe is now the same company, have recipes for each of their products listed that you can download. I would hope Midwest does the same. I agree with everyone else that based on what we can see, it looks like an Oatmeal/milk Stout. Although I agree, if that smaller bag is lactose, there's not much. It's what maybe 3-4 oz.? And what's the even smaller white packet? Brewing salts? Whirlfloc? Maybe go on their site and look at their stout recipes and see if something looks familiar.
By the way, I would substitute another yeast for that Munton's pkt. It's only a 5gram packet and that wouldn't be adequate. Maybe pick up a s-04 or Nottingham dry, or any other english-style yeast you like. Save the muntons for reyeasting or emergencies when you just need a little more yeast.

Thanks for the help! The top left white packet is sanitizer, the top right packet is priming sugar and that small white packet is the packet in question. I think i will leave that small white packet out and follow the recipe from midwest for the irish stout. It looks very very similar. Thanks for all your help!

Oops, I'm a slow typist. You posted the recipe before I finished. Slow day at work so I looked at that as well as the rest of their recipes and I think you're right based on the hops. Still doesn't answer what those two small bags are. You could maybe try tasting them- lactose will be mildy sweet. Brewing salts salty(duh), whirlfloc, never tried tasting it.
Or you could toss them in the trash and brew the kit as is. after all, it was free, so nothing ventured nothing gained..........

Back