need help with head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olayak

Reaction score
hi,
I've been making cider for almost a year, many batches. I've finally got the taste down, and it's a lovely color, and clear, but I can't seem to get the head to stay. There's a great head, initially, when poured out of the bottle but it quickly goes away. I've even tried some salt in the mix which I heard was an old trick. does anyone have any tips on how i can.improve the head? I bottle, don't have keg capacity.
thanks!

Cider should not retain a head. Foam comes from extra dexrins and protiens left in a beer during the mashing/boiling process. Cider should have VERY little of those unless you add them yourself (which of course you can!).

Ah ok great. I've had crabbies and that has a longish lasting head (for a cider) so I was worried that I was doing something wrong. It's prob from all the artificial ingredients that they add. :p
Thanks, guys! :)

Back