Need **HELP**with fining agent.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker101

Reaction score
Im currently finishing up a gallon batch of orange and honey mead. Im using a fining agent kieselsol. It comes in a sealed clear package with a another agent which is called christon (I think that's what is called or something close to that). Well when took out the kieselsol from package and poured it into a small make it easier to pour into the mead. I was trying to only add about 1/8 of the agent but it poured out to quickly and half it went into the mead. :-( so after that mishap I just used the correct amount of the christon agent which I was a lot more careful of how much was going into it. Now after 24hr it's all cleared up and looks good but it has an odd taste to it. But when the mead hits your taste buds it tastes great but it leaves odd after taste. Which I assume it's from putting too much of the kieselsol into the mead.

I'm hoping maybe someone may know how to fix this issue of the odd after taste. I just hope the batch isn't ruin.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

I don't know if this helps. The product is called supper kleer.

1395152889066.jpg

Kiesol shouldn't taste like anything, it is basically silicon dioxide, a hydrated form. Perhaps there is a taste, but even with a lot I doubt it.

You should just let it sit for 1 week and rack off. (hehehehe, rack off).

If the taste persists, its your mead most likely, not the fining agents.

Oh ok....I'll see what happens if I let it sit for a couple more weeks. I made mead before but it didnt have an odd taste before like this one has. It's like a bitter taste that sticks to the back of your throat and the back of your toung. But I have a few pictures of the mead.

1395222465235.jpg

1395222479421.jpg

1395222494446.jpg

1395222506261.jpg

1395222521420.jpg

When it is clear like that, there is still the bitter?

It is probably from the pith of the orange if you used whole orange.

Yes. It still has that bitter odd taste when it's that clear.

Is there a way of cutting the taste with something to get rid of it?

I was thinking of letting it sit for a couple of weeks then freeze it to separate the alcohol from the water content and whatever else that's in there.

Is it sweet? In JAOM, where bitterness is an issue if fermented very dry, backsweetening seems to work fine. So if it isn't too sweet, just backsweeten.

If thats out of the question, then aging is going to only help.

I wouldn't recommend it but poly vinyl poly pyroldone (PVPP) can remove catechins, which cause bitterness. The issue with pvpp is you don't want to drink it at all, so you should be absolutely sure 1) you want to try this and 2) its gone when you rack again.

Make sure you're describing it correctly as well. Very dry wines will make your mouth feel dry - this isn't a flavor, but actually the denaturation and precipitation of proteins in your mouth to almost give a chalky texture when drank. If this is the problem this is called 'astringency', and is dealt with using gelatin, or egg-white proteins (egg whites).

These are pretty advanced techniques, and I wouldn't rush into them unless the problem is very negative

Looks great, but clearly your problem is that you're drinking it from a human skull ;)

American by Birth
Viking by the grace of Odin

Seeking peace through mead.

The mead might be just really dry it has bitter chalkiness to it. When the it first hits your toung it has a real sweet orangey flavor to it but once you swallow it you definitely get a bitter taste and chalkiness in the back of your toung and throat but it's dosnt happen to the front of the toung. I hoped I described it a little better.

@damgaard thanks. I like that comment. U have me laughing ny ass off over here

@damgaard thanks. I like that comment. U have me laughing ny ass off over here

No problem! As long as your head stays attached ;)

American by Birth
Viking by the grace of Odin

Seeking peace through mead.

Back