Need help with cocomon porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickeyD

Reaction score
So I have brewed up my porter and it is in the primary. I want to add some toasted coconut and cinnamon to make it a holiday type beer. I don't have any experience using either coconut or cinnamon. What is a good way to use cinnamon and coconut and have the flavor retained? Also, what amounts of each/either have people used with good results?

Right now, the plan is to wait untill primary fermentation slows down in about 10 days or so and then simply add the cinnamon and coconut into the primary, let it sit for a while, and then rack into the secondary and let it age for a month or more. Any suggestions on how to achieve a nice creamy spiciness?

There is a book called Radical Brewing written by Randy Mosher. Its a great book (maybe best brew book I've read) and has a lot of ideas about adding different flavors and spices to brews.

Not sure if you are planning to bottle prime or not, but there is some information in the book about using different flavored liquors for bottle priming. Maybe you could infuse a coconut liqueur with cinnamon and bottle prime with that. Or maybe you could infuse vodka with coconut and cinnamon and add it to the secondary. I've never used either of these for brewing so I can't comment, but I'd be a little concerned about any residual oil from the coconut.

I agree 1.5-2.0 lbs of coconut, I'd go unsweetend I've done both and unsweetend is better. after toasting the coconut put in a large grain bag with some boiled marbles to keep the coconut from floating and allow to sit 4-6 days. much longer than 7 and I find it tends to dry out the beer. Not sure on the cinnamon though.

Dang, just a moment too late. So this beer has actually been in the primary fermenter for a month. I bought my coconut yesterday. I could only find sweetened and bought a little less than a pound. Toasted it this morning and just added it to the fermenter. I also boiled two cinnamon sticks in a small amount of water for 10 min, allowed it to cool and then added it to the fermenter.

Should I let the coconut sit in the fermenter for a little longer since I am using less?

Back