Need help with a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loren601

Reaction score
I'am fairly new to home brewing and at a local grocery store they have grapefruit on sale. 8 lbs for $1.99 to be exact. And I was thinking about trying to make a wine with them but I tried looking online and haven't found any recipes. Does any one have any suggestions or is their any reason why people don't make grapefruit wine. Help will be appreciated.

The reason I haven't tried grapefruit wine is provably because it would taste like crap. It's literally going to get more sour after fermentation. Also, fermentation would be difficult. Yeasties are not fans of high acid liquids.

I mean, give it a shot. Maybe it'll be bangin. Who knows. Add a bunch of sugar, maybe some yeast nutrient, and top it off with some water. Just consider it as a learning experience.

For the record, whenever a weird juice is on sale at my local grocery, I usually ferment it out of curiosity. Pomagranate/blueberry going right now. I made a 17% pomagranate wine not long ago, which came out well. Just a punch in the face.

Happy fermentations.

I'am fairly new to home brewing and at a local grocery store they have grapefruit on sale. 8 lbs for $1.99 to be exact. And I was thinking about trying to make a wine with them but I tried looking online and haven't found any recipes. Does any one have any suggestions or is their any reason why people don't make grapefruit wine. Help will be appreciated.

Try one of these recipes:
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques20.asp
Regards, GF.

Yooper said:
Grapefruit wine is a very nice wine! I really like Jack Keller's recipes and have done the first one.

It's one of my favorites.

Did u add any avid blend to reduce the acidity

Who woulda think it? What is the pucker factor on something like this? Is it more refreshing than sour? I'm wanting to try this now.

I just started a 5 gallon batch of the grapefruit wine today. My OG is threw the roof at 1.145 so this should be a potent batch we will have to see how it turns out.

Should I add my campden tablets the same day I add my yeast and when should I add bentonite

z
Should I add my campden tablets the same day I add my yeast and when should I add bentonite

Bentonite goes in 24 hours before the yeast (as does the campden).

If you've already added the yeast, well, oh uh.

I never use bentonite, so you're fine if you left it out. Or you could add it much later, after fermentation ends.

Campden must go in 24 hours before the yeast, though.

Yooper said:
z

Bentonite goes in 24 hours before the yeast (as does the campden).

If you've already added the yeast, well, oh uh.

I never use bentonite, so you're fine if you left it out. Or you could add it much later, after fermentation ends.

Campden must go in 24 hours before the yeast, though.

So do I just forget about adding the campden.

image-2032995285.jpg

I don't know what to tell you. The recipe is very clear, and very easy to follow. You can try to add yeast later, if this first yeast dies. But just follow the instructions. It's super simple, step by step, with all the ingredients listed. No bentonite anywhere.

I don't know what to tell you. The recipe is very clear, and very easy to follow. You can try to add yeast later, if this first yeast dies. But just follow the instructions. It's super simple, step by step, with all the ingredients listed. No bentonite anywhere.

yooper you're my hero. i see you do both beer and wine, i'm in the process of doing beer as well, are you doing all grain or biab or extract? any chance we can see pics of the set up?

thx
Ben

yooper you're my hero. i see you do both beer and wine, i'm in the process of doing beer as well, are you doing all grain or biab or extract? any chance we can see pics of the set up?

thx
Ben

I started brewing beer long after I started making wine (maybe 10-12 years later). My beer set up went from a big pot and a bucket to a pretty complex all-electric indoor HERMS. I have more photos in my gallery (don't want to hijack this thread), but here's one photo of my current set up:
dscn0313-56565.jpg

Back