Need help with a recipe - Extract Summerfest Orange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrivetDriveBrewery

Reaction score
Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Nottingham Ale Yeast
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 6 (23L)
Original Gravity: 1.055
Final Gravity: 1.008
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 5 @ 21°C
Additional Fermentation: Carb and let it sit in bottles for 14 days @ 21°C
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 21°C
Tasting Notes: Good mouth feel. A perfect beer for spring and summer. ABV is approx 6.2%.

This is the first recipe I put together by myself, so I had no idea how it would turn out. Luckily it turned out to be a damn good beer! Let me know what you think. Also, I had no idea what beer category to put it under so I went with Light Hybrid Beer.

Ingredients:

3 kg Light LME
.5 kg Wheat DME
.25 kg High Malt Glucose
.5 kg Canadian 2 Row (steep)
.5 kg Flaked Barley (steep)
1 oz East Kent Goldings hops
1 oz Citra hops
2 medium sized naval oranges
Nottingham Ale Yeast

Directions:

Place 3 gallons of cool water in brewpot and bring to 155°F. Steep Canadian 2 Row and Flaked Barley for 45 min @ 155°F. Then remove grain bag, let it drain, then discard.

Remove from heat and add Light LME, Wheat DME, and High Malt Glucose, then bring the mix back to a boil. Once it`s boiling add the E.K Goldings hops and start 60 min boil.

With 10 min left in the boil add the Citra hops and the zest and juice from both oranges. Once this is complete re-hydrate the yeast.

When the boil is complete add the wort to your primary and top with cold water. Once the wort has cooled pitch the re-hydrated yeast.

Cover or attach airlock to your primary and let it sit for 5 days @ 21°C then rack to secondary. After 10 days, carb with priming sugar and then bottle. Let it sit in the bottles for 14 days @ 21°C.

Enjoy!

Notes:

-I used the orange zest, but also got some of the white rind from the oranges and added them to the boil. I found it added just the right amount of bitterness and flavour.
-The High Malt Glucose is just added to up the ABV without sweetening the beer too much.
- I used 1 cup of corn sugar and 1 tablespoon of Brown Sugar dissolved in 1 cup of water to carbonate the beer.

This turned out really well and it`ll be a good beer for spring and summer!

Not sure about steeping the 2 row, it looks like you steeped long enough to get decent conversion but it would not bring much to the table in terms of flavor. Otherwise looks good and sounds tasty.

Not sure about steeping the 2 row, it looks like you steeped long enough to get decent conversion but it would not bring much to the table in terms of flavor. Otherwise looks good and sounds tasty.

Mashing would get more out of it.

By the looks of it looks like a great beer. I love the Citra Hops with the Orange. Looks to be a good Citrus Ale!

Subbed because I would like to know how to classify this beer
I have done some AG blonde ales so my "rough" translation of this recipe kind if reminds me of those.

Does it make it a hybrid ale?

Back