Need help w/ a 100% Brett grain bill...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheZymurgist

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a 100% Brett pale ale, but I'm having trouble with the grain bill. I'm going to do a split batch with The Yeast Bay's Lochristi Brett blend, and one with Brett Trois. Hops will be Nelson Sauvin and Belma, and maybe one other fruit-forward hop.

So far, I'm thinking 50% wheat, mostly to retain some body, 15% Crystal 10 or 20, and 35% 2-Row. Generally I don't like wheat beers, but this will be so different from any wheat beer I've ever had, that I don't think there will be a problem.

I've read about adding oats or wheat to the boil to aid in body retention, but I want to avoid that if possible since that can also leave a "slick" or even "slimy" feel, from what I've read.

Thoughts?

I did a Brett trois ipa with 74% row, 22%red wheat, 4% carapils. The beer wasn't thin and Brett trois pairs awesome with fruity/tropical hops. I used Citra, amrillo, centennial, and chinook. Just do a big starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I did a Brett trois ipa with 74% row, 22%red wheat, 4% carapils. The beer wasn't thin and Brett trois pairs awesome with fruity/tropical hops. I used Citra, amrillo, centennial, and chinook. Just do a big starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah, after doing a little more reading, I think I settled on a bill very similar. That looks just like Mike T.'s from themadfermentationist.com (Oldsock on this site).

I think I'm going to go with the Belma, Nelson, and Pacific Jem. Bear-flavored.com also has an IIPA w/ Brett Trois that I'll probably sample from as well. Can't wait to try this one out!!!

Back