Need help using brite tank with cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richy_23

Reaction score
Some first timer questions:

1. When I open up the bottom valve on mybrite tank full with cider at 2 degrees 15psi. Cider gushes out then runs clear and is hard to fill a glass without foaming. However when I run it down a short hose the one that goes to keg has me thinking.

Can you achieve more dissolved co2 in the product using a long hose leading to keg downstream?

I really just want to Acess carbonation by taste and physical appearance.

Is it right immediately thinking I can carb cider in a brite tank. I have done everything right. 2 degrees product 20 psi on stone. Then drop to 15 psi for kegging been in brite tank 5 days. But getting no joy. I know cider is not over carbed as it pours fine with light carbonation apparent. I am freaking out

Ok...I'm not Einstein, and I'm just spitballing here, but was trying to work it in my head. Maybe someone can debunk my logic and give a better answer.

I don't have a lot of experience with brite tanks, but on your "downstream" hose idea...I assume it's the exact same theory as kegging. You need a certain amount of resistance to slow the flow rate. It might be that a particular length of hose will provide the amount of dissolved CO2 you are looking for in the final product.

For example, a 12' length of 3/16" serving hose will provide enough resistance to retain almost all of the CO2 (hypothetical numbers of course) giving you a champagne style pour. a 6' length of hose doesn't provide as much resistance and you only get a sparkly cider.

By not having a hose on there at all...there's no resistance and it foams instantly.

I'm sure there is a mathematical formula for determining the line length and inside diameter to retain your desired volume of CO2.

Alternatively, you could build a rig to pre-pressurize the keg to 15psi by running a line from your CO2 tank through a regulator, to the keg fitting and add a ball valve to vent. That way you're connected to the bright tank you end up filling under pressure. You also get the the added benefit of purging the keg of any oxygen.

Back