Need Help Reverse Engineering A Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40oz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, so...I did this light Lemon Ale recipe once before in as a 6 gal batch. I liked it so much I tried to double it up for a larger batch.

Originally I thought it was juuuuuust a little too light bodied.

By mistake for my second larger batch I didn't sparge enough and ran short to my Boil Kettle. What was supposed to be a final 11 gallons in my fermentor, ended up 8.75, and my FTS coils barely made surface contact

But, what I thought would be a not so good beer ended up being MUCH better than the original recipe, and everyone loved it more than the original. What I thought was originally too light ended up having a good body to it, imo.

So I would like to do a larger batch again, but use the same ingredients that gave me a 8.75 gal batch to proportionally give me a 12 gal batch in my ferm.

Here is the recipe for my 8.75 batch

Spring Lemon Ale

OG: 1.060
FG: (I think was 1.012)
Boiling Time: 60min
Preboil Size: 11 Gal

11 lbs Pale Malt 2 row
4 lbs Flaked Corn
1lb Cara-Pils
.50lb Crystal Malt 60L

1oz Centennial (60min)
2oz Cascade (10min)
2oz Cascade (0min)
2oz Lemon Zest (5min)
2oz fresh squeezed Lemon Juice (5min)

2 pks of English Ale Yeast S004 (Now I'll change to 4 pkg)

Mash at 150F 60 mins
Ferment 62F-65F

My equipment is a 15Gal Keggle for MT, 15Gal SS Brew Kettle for HLT, and 20Gal SS Brew Kettle. 14 Gal SS Brew Chronical

I downloaded a copy of Beersmith, but it's going to take me some time to learn and adjust for my needs. I need to do a batch soon/ASAP for a graduation party.

Is there an easy / simple way to figure this out, even a quick estimate? I suppose I could keep the hops and zest the same, but what about the grain?

Any help would be appreciated

A quick "close enough" method would be to keep the percentages of the grainbill the same and scale them up to your batch size - i.e. multiply each by 12/8.75. Do the same with the late hop additions and zest. Then plug all that into a simple recipe calculator with the new boil volume and adjust the 60 min hop addition to match your original IBU's. If your efficiency stays roughly the same and your baseline equipment losses aren't extreme one way or the other then this should get you close. Not as fine tuned as plugging your entire equipment profile into BS but IME it works well enough.

I am curious about what this lemon ale tastes like. Is there a commercial example that you are trying to emulate?

Work with extract given as LoD.
Spec sheets come with malt deliveries and this is a pretty normal value to use. Typical base malt ranges from 305-310 LoD. This is the number of points possible with 1kg in 1L. You divide this into your volumes over your efficiency.

So if your target is 19L @ 1.060 ... 19 * 60 = 1140.
1140 / 305 = 3.74kg of grain required at 100% mash tun efficiency.
3.75 * 0.75 = 4.98kg at 75% efficiency and so on.

Of course your target volume includes not only the amount you need in the kettle, but also absorption to grain, losses to equipment and dead space. You then need to work further on your evaporation and likely increase in concentration. But you can get pretty accurate with pen and paper after a brew or two with good notes and this is pretty much all beersmith does anyway.

Recipie is similar to biermunchers Centennial blonde recipie but a lot higher gravity. Looks tasty. I like adding lemons into blonde ales.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Does this sound right? I divided (from my recipe) 11 lbs of 2-row by 8.75 gal for 1.25lbs per gal so......1.25 x 12 gal = 15 lbs for my 12 gal batch. Do this for each ingredient? If so, "duh" on my end

@beernutz I found this recipe and copied it from here but altered just a tad. I don't remember if they were trying to copy a commercial beer or not but his is one VERY tasty beer! But I like my mistake even better. It's a perfect hot weather beer

@stieg000 I'd be curious to see your recipe :)

Back