Need help on keg kit and project

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheese1566

Reaction score
Hey guys!
Please forgive me as I am a newbie...I have lurked for a while and researched here for some time.

I have brewed years past and have recently returned to the fun! I told myself when I returned that I would keg. Well, two very nice used ball lock kegs arrived at my door from a nice neighbor for free. I quickly picked up a used lab grade under counter refrigerator that will hold the two kegs and CO2 bottle for $30.
I was going to convert the fridge into a kegerator and was thinking of having a tower set up rather than through the door. I like the idea of making it look good with a oak cabinet and maybe a granite/tile top and have found some great ideas on the builds. I plan on using a computer fan and power supply to move air into the tower.

I was looking at keg kit from kegconnection but had some questions...
1) Should I upgrade to the TAPRITE regulator? (i like the idea of UL listed and knob, but I am not afraid of screwdrivers. Just want realiability and best bang for my buck.)

2) Upgrade to the double regulator? (I like the idea of seperate controls for each keg.)

2) Any advantages to a chrome tower (adds $70) versus custom box to hold the two taps?
(I am contemplating getting the two tap door kit and making my own insulated tower/faucet box versus two tap tower kit. The tap tower would be easier...)

(I may have answered my own questions already, but would like input from experienced souls.)

I would not get the CO2 bottle as no one in my area fills them- welding shops here do the tank swap/lease agreements. I also think upgrading to the Perlicks is a no brainer and will opt for those.

I have a double regulator and find it very convenient, I can gas purge a fermentor without disconnecting my keg. I have one "screwdriver" type regulator and one with a knob. For the screwdriver type I took a #10 drilled stopper and pressed it over the screw...I now have 2 knobbed regulators :)

Get the Taprite T752, about $100 on Amazon. Thing is SOLID, dual regulator, easy turn knobs. Love this thing.

Totally recommend going with a dual regulator; you can use one regulator to force carb at one pressue and use the other regulator to force carb at another pressure. If you expand beyond two kegs, you just need to buy a splitter for the CO2 line, instead of changing regulators. Much more freedom and expandability

Buy quality once, you won't have to replace it

I did switch my entire gas side to polyethylene tubing and push connect fittings. ihomebrewsolutions has a nice 1/4" female flare x 1/4" push connect for attaching tubing to your gas in QD. This tubing is easy to splice, easy to disconnect and clean and no clamps required.

Gabba said:
Get the Taprite T752, about $100 on Amazon. Thing is SOLID, dual regulator, easy turn knobs. Love this thing.

Totally recommend going with a dual regulator; you can use one regulator to force carb at one pressue and use the other regulator to force carb at another pressure. If you expand beyond two kegs, you just need to buy a splitter for the CO2 line, instead of changing regulators. Much more freedom and expandability

Buy quality once, you won't have to replace it

All of this is really good advice. I had no idea how awesome my taprite was unil I had to adjust my brother in law's run-of-the mill regulator. What a pain (relatively speaking, of course)

Latest posts

Back