Need help on a slow leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
This is the second bottle of Co2 that I have gone through because of a slow leak somewhere. I've sprayed with StarSan every fitting that I can find and the darn thing simply, slowly empties!

I'm new to this and I could be missing something obvious, but I'm not sure where to turn now. How complicated could this be?!

+ The Kegs hold pressure, the line isn't leaking beer.
+ The regulator has a new washer, I inserted a new washer in the bottle end.

It HAS to be leaking between the regulator and the keg disconnects, right? What else do I need to check? Luckily a friend is bringing his bottle for the Super Bowl party..

This will be the second time I have had to re-carb this fresh beer and I'm afraid I lost it because its likely flat (although there is still pressure in the keg)

WHAT AM I MISSING?!!

Hey,

I also had some pesky leaks, mine turned out to be brand new gray plastic gas quick disconnects. Only noticed this small leak with the QD submerged in a cup of star san. Reseated the top screw and retested.

Hey,

I also had some pesky leaks, mine turned out to be brand new gray plastic gas quick disconnects. Only noticed this small leak with the QD submerged in a cup of star san. Reseated the top screw and retested.

I will check it out when my buddy gets here with his co2.

question, do you leave your gas on all the time or only when you use it?

I'm sure this is not the answer you are looking for .. but back when I only had only one cylinder .. a 5#'er .. I left it on .. and it went "empty". I wondered the same .. as you. I thought I did everything that I could do to check it .. and make sure no leaks. The best thing I ever did .. was turn the cylinder "off" .. when I am finished .. drinking .. force carbonating .. or what ever I am doing with the cylinder. I now have multiple cylinders of different sizes .. and use a 5# .. for force carbonating .. and it will stay hooked up and turned on .. for multiple days .. and doesn't seem to leak. I have a larger cylinder for beer dispensing. I have never again had any problems .. and have never discussed the issue with anyone who could offer solutions. If I am going to be drinking a few .. before I pour my first .. I turn the valve on the CO2 cylinder top .. to "on" .. and when I am finished drinking .. that day or evening .. I turn it "off".

Sorry .. I couldn't offer more. But this works .. for me.

After fixing those new leaking gas QDs I can leave my tank on all the time with no issues.

After fixing those new leaking gas QDs I can leave my tank on all the time with no issues.

Yup, infinitely preferable to just living with leaks.
I have two leak-free gas systems and never shut off either cylinder...

For the OP, start with the one that a lot of new keggers never check: shut off the tank, remove the regulator, and make sure there's either a rubber o-ring on the end of the regulator gas stem or a plastic or fiber washer inside the coupler nut...

Cheers!

Spray all connections with star san using a pump spray bottle. Bubbles=leaks!!

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Home Brew mobile app

Check the nut that holds the knob on the co2 tank valve...I just realized mine was leaking after it was re certified. If that nut isn't tight it allows the valve stem to float down and start leaking.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I still have not found the leak, but I but a light coating of Keg Lube on new rubber O rings on the posts. I also keg lubed the rubber ring on the mouth of the keg.

I filled a bucket of water and pressurized the lines and dunked the Quick Disconnects and did not notice a leak in the line or the QD.

I also submerged the picnic tap and did not notice a leak..

So, new O rings and Keg Lube... We'll see if this helps. It's under pressure now.

Q1: what is the likelyhood that another valve is leaking, for example the pressure valve on the top of the keg? I can spray it, but no signs of bubbles...

Q2: The O ring kit came with smaller O rings, a couple of them are smaller than the others. I replaced the post-rings with the size that came off them, but there were some smaller rings that I do not know what they might go to? Any idea?

THanks so much everyone... I'll get this figured out and post the result.

The smaller probably black o rings go on the dip tubes.

Edit: forgot to add I had similar problem and replacing those black dip tube o rings and keg lube on everything fixed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I THINK I FOUND IT!!!

Let this be a lesson to anyone ordering a new kegging system..

be sure to tighten every single nut, bolt, fitting or screw. I found two factory-set hose connectors (it's a dual line regulator) that were not as tight as they probably should have been. I turned up the pressure and then sprayed with soapy water and right away I could see bubbles. I cranked up the torque on those bad boys and no more bubbles.

I also soaked the quick disconnects in t a bucket of water and even the tap and there is no sign of bubbles.. so, I think that I am good.

So, tighten everything can can be tightened, replace all rubber seals if you think it needs it or not and test with StarSan, Soapy water and a bucket of clean water (yes all three) and you might save yourself 10lbs of Co2 like I just wasted!

whew...:ban:

Back