Need help identifing a film on water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geologyguy

Reaction score
So I brewed a Pale Ale yesterday. I notice a white film on top of the water in my HLT. Well after I sparged and started to boil I noticed the same film on my wort. I have attached a picture of what it looked like. Does anyone know what it could be? Also this was my first time using my kettle and hlt which I made out of kegs.

ForumRunner_20130715_084629.jpg

did you use a garden hose of some kind to fill the carboy?

if so, it scaling that comes off the inside of a garden hose over time, you should use a potable water hose, they are easy to ID. they are colored White.

CR-

did you use a garden hose of some kind to fill the carboy?

if so, it scaling that comes off the inside of a garden hose over time, you should use a potable water hose, they are easy to ID. they are colored White.

CR-

Yes I did use a garden hose. So you think that might be the problem?

I use garden hose all the time and have never seen that but that really doesn't ran anything as we have different water sources.

Take a pot and fill from the same hose and source and see if you get the same film. If yes then change your source and delivery method. If not then its related to your vessels for brewing

I use garden hose all the time and have never seen that but that really doesn't ran anything as we have different water sources.

Take a pot and fill from the same hose and source and see if you get the same film. If yes then change your source and delivery method. If not then its related to your vessels for brewing

Cool I will try that thank your? I will post the out come

So I did the test. I used water straight from the pipe. It still had that film on it. So I drained it took a sample of the white powder and it tasted like calcium. So I think that what is is? At least peoples that drink my beer will have strong bones

So I did the test. I used water straight from the pipe. It still had that film on it. So I drained it took a sample of the white powder and it tasted like calcium. So I think that what is is? At least peoples that drink my beer will have strong bones

So I did more testing and figure it out. I had a piece of high temp silicone tubing in the bottom to drain my kettle. I guess when you boil it it puts off a white power.

geologyguy said:
So I did more testing and figure it out. I had a piece of high temp silicone tubing in the bottom to drain my kettle. I guess when you boil it it puts off a white power.

Glad you hopefully figured it out!

Latest posts

Back