Need help - got 2 pin lock kegs, no idea!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayfro21

Reaction score
Hello fellow HBT'ers,

So my step-dad works for a Coca-Cola distributor, and a few months back he gave me 2 Corny kegs because his office was getting rid of them. They are dirty as all heck, but I finally got around to cleaning them and soaking them in oxyclean, and they are actually now pretty nice. But I have a few questions:

1) Why is there so much black stuff running off the rubber when I cleaned them, it made a mess of my bath tub? Is it just old rubber from the top and bottom that needs to be cleaned off?
2) I know most people use ball lock types, but Iwas given these for free, and was wondering how to take of the gas in and liquid out tubes. Do I need a special tool, or have some people figured out how to do this?

Please, any help would be awesome, thanks!

Jason

Blender said:
The black from the rubber comes off my kegs as well when I wipe them off. You should put new gaskets on the kegs and need a pin lock socket wrench to disassemble the fittings. I would call Morebeer or Williams Brewing in your area and ask them how to get these parts.

Here is an online guide >> http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Soda-Kegs-Maint

Pin lock socket >> http://morebeer.com/view_product/18277/102294

Did you get that kegerator yesterday?

No, called but no dice...Ive heard bad things about the Danby kegerator, so maybe it was for the better. Might just go with an old 14 cf fridge and just use picnic taps inside the fridge for now, but we'll see what comes available on CL. I am going on vacation in a week, so prob will look more when I get home. Thanks for the info!

Jason

Well, you don't NEED a pinlock socket. You can get an open ended wrench on them if you go in at an angle. It depends on how stuck they are though... give it a try. I think it's 13/16 or 7/8".

I have pinlocks and I like them, but I also had access to 15 of them for really cheap. If you commit to pinlock, be aware that you're going to want a bunch more kegs so make sure you have a source.

ok so im looking around for more information as I bought into the $12 per keg and have some questions I have not yet found answers to.

Storing them : is it best to pressurize for storage?
And what about pressure relief because as Im understanding the pin-locks only have the automatic relief valve for safety. Should I install the pin type relief valves on them?

Should I try to convert them to ball locks? and what kind of PITA is that?

Ok so I bought in to kegging before I have brewed so total nubie, be gentle, but im super curious to think about using them as fermenters and storage and the like.

comments? suggestions? please - bring it on Thanks!

Yes, store under pressure. I bought the same kegs. You can relieve pressure by pushing down the gas in post. My thought was to get a bunch of pin lock, that way I don't have to worry about trying to convert.

Well, you don't NEED a pinlock socket. You can get an open ended wrench on them if you go in at an angle. It depends on how stuck they are though... give it a try. I think it's 13/16 or 7/8".

I have pinlocks and I like them, but I also had access to 15 of them for really cheap. If you commit to pinlock, be aware that you're going to want a bunch more kegs so make sure you have a source.

I don't get this statement (seriously, not trying to be rude, just really don't understand it). I have two pin lock kegs that I bought that were converted to ball locks. I then got two additional ball lock kegs. My understanding is these will all work together since they all are now essentially ball locks. A conversion kit costs about $10. So it may cost more, but if he were to go the pin lock route and then change his mind, couldn't he just buy a couple conversions kits? Sure, it may cost him 20-30 more dollars but it'd probably cost him more to buy ball locks anyway. Am I missing something?

In terms of the black rubber getting all over everything, what I did on my pinlocks was to clean, rinse, dry, and then paint with that stuff that you dip handles into to rubberize them, Parts Dip (or something like that). They sell it in a spray can. Just mask off the good stuff and spray away.

In terms of sockets vs. wrenches, yeah, you "may" be able to get one off with a wrench, but it's difficult. Buy or make a wrench.

There are articles for how to take the posts apart, and you should do that, check and/or replace all of the gaskets and the poppets, clean, lube (you need keg lube) gaskets, fill with CO2, then make sure it holds after a couple of weeks. You may need to get to 30 psi to get them to seal, and then they should have no leaks.

Pin Locks have a pressure release (for pressure), but without "manual" release. Manual release can be done by pressing down the center of the gas inlet side, as long as it isn't too full of beer (ask me what happens when it's too full!). They even make tools for depressing the gas side for that purpose.

Rich

The connectors are cheap, I've got both Pin lock and Ball lock connectors. I'll use whichever connecter is needed for that keg. If I ever have a problem with one I'll just turn it into a Ball Lock.

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to thank all for posting on it, I just took my pin locks apart for the first time today.
Couldn't have done it without this info!

Back