Need help for Denali DIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ogrenjr

Reaction score
I just bought a pound of Denali hops hoping to brew a big single hop DIPA, and now that I'm looking through the Denali hop threads on here I'm worried.

Should I start with a different bittering hop, like a warrior or magnum, and then mix in some other hops for the flame out or dry hopping?

I'm looking at doing a basic 2 row and some caramel grains, so the hops should be front and center.

I was hoping to find a new hop for a beer to put on tap at my Christmas party...and now I'm nervous it's going to be a pineapple mess. I was also hoping to get away from citra as I feel like I've been only using citra in IPA's lately, so if anybody has an idea for a good hop to mix in with the denali to balance out the flavor I'd very interested. Thanks!

I would mix Denali with Eureka!. It will turn out extremely good.

Otherwise, something like Ella, Vic Secret, Topaz ( Australian/NZ hops ).

I tried Denali recently and while it definitely did have that pineapple thing going in the aroma, I got a lot more of the floral taste. I say go with something that will contrast like classic Simcoe or Amarillo, or play into the tropical and go Citra, Galaxy, Mosaic, etc. What kind of caramel malts will you be using? If you do end up with more of the floral Denali, I'd lay off those as you might get more of a tea-flavored thing.

Thanks!

I've got 40L Caramel now. I'll check out if Northern Brewer has eureka otherwise I was thinking mosaic or galaxy as well. It's for a party, and people like that floral hop flavor.

That Denali Big DIPA clone sounds like a helluva idea.

I brewed this last weekend and I added an ounce of Mosiac with the Denali and flameout, and an ounce of warrior before the 90 minute boil. Probably about four ounces of Denali near the end of the boil and flameout in total.

Smells wonderful, I still have planned on an ounce or two of Denali and an ounce of Mosiac for dry hopping. Missed the high gravity I was looking for though, it'll be more of an IPA than a double, but I tend to do that...

Latest posts

Back