Need help flat bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doomtheflame

Reaction score
Hi i am new to homebrewing and made a mistake.

I did not calculate my biab effiency properly and got a bigger beer than anticipated instead of 65% got a 79%

So i pitched to low not having anticipated enough yeast

Now I have a heavy beer in the bottles and all yeast seemed to have been terminated. Primed with enough sugars. But no bubbling just a thick beer in the glass after 5 weeks in the bottles.

Can i pop them all open pitched a small amount of dry yeast in the bottles and hope for c02 or just dump the beer in the sink.

Underpitching can cause a beer to not fully attenuate, but the yeast will still grow and proliferate. Have you stored them at room temp to prime them?

You can open them, drop a few dry yeast granules in, but it would be rather rare to have yeast die out to the point bottles won't condition unless you had lagered for extended periods- even them many brewers don't repitch. Also, if the beer is high alcohol, carbing can take extended periods, I had one trappist that took three months to properly carb.

Back