Need help finding CL 980 yeast in homebrew quantities

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alaskana

Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can purchase CL 980 (American White Ale) besides from Brewing Sciences?

Here is the description of the yeast:

CL 980 American White Ale
74-76% apparent attenuation • low flocculation • 64-70°F fermentation range
Smooth with an exceptionally round, clean malt flavor.
American profile makes it an integral part of true unfiltered wheat beer.
Also good for American-style altbier.

The reason I'm asking is this yeast is only sold in large commercial volumes and I was hoping to find an a supplier who I could purchase from in typical homebrewing quantities. BrewTek (brewers resource) labs used to be the ones that carried it but these days Brewing Science carries it but only sells it for quantities of 1 BBL or more. WYeast offers CL-50 as WYeast-1450, 'Denny's Favorite 50' but I can't find a version of CL 980 that they carry. I also heard of an east coast yeast supplier that started offerering some of the Brewtek strains but I don't know their name.

I'm trying to create an American Hefeweizen with this yeast, a cloudy hefeweizen without the banana, bubblegum and clove flavors normally present in German hefeweizens.

Update: I contacted Brewing Sciences and they said that I could set up an account and purchase 1 BBl's worth of pitchable CL980! Needless to say that made my day. Given that 1 BBL is around 30 gallons, that should be enough for about 6 batches of beer for me.

Those guys (and gals) at Brewing Sciences are awesome. Check them out sometime, they have a pretty impressive cataloge of yeasts that I had yet to see in my local HBS. The only catch is that you have to get it shipped next day and their minimum order is 1 BBL, but that is a given considering that their clientele are commercial breweries who need large quantities of fresh yeast.

Back