Need help converting a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
I brewed a partial grain Brewers Best kit American Amber for 5 gallons and would like to do it in a 12 gallon full boil.

Here is what I started with:

3.3# Amber LME
2.5 lb Amber DME
1# Carmel 80l
1.25 oz bittering Golding hops
.5 oz aroma Nugget hops

OG 1.050
FG 1.015

I hit both right on the money starting with 6 gallons water. Did a 3 gallon steep of grain @150 degrees for 30 minutes. Brought to a boil and added DME and then again LME. Added hops at 60 min and 5 min. Added to 3 gallons of water and ended up with 5.5 gallons. I would like it to be a little more hoppy.

I'm thinking of starting with 12 gallons total. Using 4# of Caramel 80l and steeping cold and bringing temp up slowly to 160 degrees (maybe an hour?). Remove grain and add 3# out of 12# total Amber DME and bring to boil. Add 2oz Golding hops, add 3 oz Nugget hops at 25 min and 3 oz Nugget hops at 5 min. Add remaining 9# of amber DME.

I would like to end up with 11 gallons and pour half into 2 carboys with a WLP001 California Ale yeast starter each.

Plugged in using Hopville and ended up pretty close to all the numbers.

Opinions please... going to order stuff later this week.

Back