need explanation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firebat138

Reaction score
ok... me and my brewbuddy have been saving our own yeast for a while... Brews have been coming out GREAT... Could they be better... I assume so..

We have been just racking beer, then pouring yeast in jars... filling them up, labeling... done... then pitching 1 qt jars of the stuff in 5 gallon batches and we have good beer... But that isnt washing... This week I was trying to explain why we should wash... lol... but I need it typed out... lol..

I boiled some water, chilled... then dumped on yeast, swished around and poured into jars... after that... I guess I can pour all the LIQUID into smaller jars correct? and thats our yeast per batch?

ya that's basically it. I have mason jars that I have previously sanitized and boiled water in them that I just pour into the fermenter as you stated and swirl around to break up the yeast cake and then pour into the jars until I have enough or there's just trub left and than I let them settle out in my fridge.

than after they have settled and separated out I will condense them into usually two mason jars by decanting off the beer water and getting just the light creamy yeast and leaving behind as much trub as possible and than topping off with sanitized water again and thats it.:drunk:

Latest posts

Back