Need BIAB Equipment Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieL

Reaction score
dstranger99,

Is the 6.5 gallon big enough for a 5 gallon batch? Are you adding water after the mash?

^ Yes, It's fine for a 5 gal batch. I pull the bag out after the mash and let it drain thru a collander into another pot, then pour that back into the 6.5

I use an 8 gal tamale pot I got at Target for $21 including lid. It's also got a rack that sets about 3" up from the bottom of the pot that's perfect to keep the voile bag away from the heat.

I bought a 9 gallon pot at first and regret it everytime. I usually brew beers around 1.065 to 1.075 og and it barely fits, and is a real pita.

If you're brewing only 1.040 for the rest of your life..... then sure you could go smaller.

I've got a 10 gal pot & I can't imagine brewing 5 gallons in anything smaller. Usually recipes will call for 7.5 to 8 gallons of water to begin with, and with a rolling boil mine seems just about right to avoid overflows. It's kinda like with big screen tv's, buyer's remorse is always about screen size being too small.

If you want to do a full volume mash, spring for the 10 gallon kettle.

I always use 8 gallons of water to brew a 5 gallon batch (6 gallons into fermenter). 8 gallons and 13 pounds of grain is right up to the tippy-top of a 10 gallon kettle.

If you want to do a full volume mash, spring for the 10 gallon kettle.

I always use 8 gallons of water to brew a 5 gallon batch (6 gallons into fermenter). 8 gallons and 13 pounds of grain is right up to the tippy-top of a 10 gallon kettle.

Yep, this is true. I would really rather have a 12 to 13 gallon pot and not have to be so worried about liquid levels. That would be ideal... but that size is hard to find. Until then, my 10-gallon one will have to do. N_G

Yep, this is true. I would really rather have a 12 to 13 gallon pot and not have to be so worried about liquid levels. That would be ideal... but that size is hard to find. Until then, my 10-gallon one will have to do. N_G

++1

A couple things:

First, I think a 10 gallon pot cuts it close on full volume BIAB. After my first two brews with a 10 gallon, I sold it on ebay and then bought a 15 gallon. Now I can mash with all the water, make brews with any gravity I want, and never worry about the grains fitting or a boil over. Definitely worth the extra cost.

However, I must say that the most important thing for me was making sure the pot had a thick 3-ply bottom. If you have a pot with a thin bottom then you will always worry about melting the bag on the bottom. You'll end up buying some type of false bottom to keep this from happening.

Thanks everyone for their advise. I'm defiantly considering the heavy duty (6mm) 15 gallon pot. Should I getting a steamer basket to match or will that take up to much grain space in the pot? It just seems that it may help in removing the grains at the end.

I was lifting the bag and setting it in a colander over a bucket, squeezing the bag then dumping the squeezins into the kettle. No basket.

But I recently saw a post here where a guy lifts the bag, places a thick oven rack over the kettle, lays the bag on top, then squeezes the bag with the kettle lid. Seems much easier and no hot bag to squeeze. This is what I'm doing next.

CharlieL, I was going to ask what your budget allows, but with your decision to get a 15 gallon pot, I am guessing you use propane that can boil the full amount for BIAB.

The next important decision is the bag. I sewed my own voile bag but if you are doing full BIAB for high gravity batches, it is a good idea not to scrimp. I think you should go for a bag sized for your kettle. Get the kettle and dimensions, then I think you should contact a member here who makes custom BIAB bags.

Wilserbrewer makes and sells BIAB bags to fit the kettle that can suspend grain for 5, 10, or 15 gallon batches, without using an inner basket.

Epimetheus, I would like to keep it at or below $100. Thanks for the info on the bag. I will look into that. I just don't want to regret my purchase after and hope I got something else. NOt getting the basket will help on the prices as well.

10 - 15 gallon pot without a basket, I feel a clad bottom is not needed if you add heat gently and always stir while adding heat. It should be noted. that you can also skip a mashout and not need to heat while the bAg is in the kettle. A simple ratchet pulley works well to suspend the bag over the kettle to drain, eliminating the need to squeeze.

This is just my preferred simple method that works very well with the minimum equipment.

Cider123 said:
I was lifting the bag and setting it in a colander over a bucket, squeezing the bag then dumping the squeezins into the kettle. No basket. But I recently saw a post here where a guy lifts the bag, places a thick oven rack over the kettle, lays the bag on top, then squeezes the bag with the kettle lid. Seems much easier and no hot bag to squeeze. This is what I'm doing next.

This is exactly what I do.
I also recommend getting at least a 10gal pot. I can't figure out how anybody could do a decent gravity beer in anything less. I have a 10 gallon and wish I sprung for a 15

Thanks to everyone for you advise and insight. I think I will be going with a 15 gallon pot. Sounds like the best option and doesn't limit me so much.

Cider123 said:
I was lifting the bag and setting it in a colander over a bucket, squeezing the bag then dumping the squeezins into the kettle. No basket.

But I recently saw a post here where a guy lifts the bag, places a thick oven rack over the kettle, lays the bag on top, then squeezes the bag with the kettle lid. Seems much easier and no hot bag to squeeze. This is what I'm doing next.

I do this. It is trickier than it sounds because the bag 'splays out' on the rack. You have to watch the edges for leaks that don't drip into the kettle. I am now doing ths, not squeezing all that much and after 5 mins or when the wort starts steaming as it gets to the boil, i take the bag and put it in a bucket. Then, 20 mins later I pour the extra drom the bucket into the boiling kettle. Posted using the miserable and terrible ipad app.p for hbt which allows no editing.

I agree with most here get the biggest pot that fits your budget and I wouldn't worry about the basket. If you make your own bag taper it at the bottom or get a bag like wilserbrewer. You don't want a bag with corners like a pillow case because the wort tends to drain from the corners and it can get messy. I just lift the bag and slide a rack under it. Then you can squeeze or just let it drain.

ForumRunner_20131222_102852.jpg

I do BIAB, and I do 10 gallons in a 20 gallon pot and I'd agree that with a 10 or 15 gallon pot for 5 gallon batches, this will makes things much easier to deal with. Also, I use a basket in mine with a bag sized to fit the pot. In my case I have an electric element that I want to keep the bag off of, so the basket works good for me ... And when I'm done with the mash I lift the basket and place a grill over the pot that the basket sits on while it drains. This setup works good for me.

I had an 8 then a 10 now a 15. I spent too much a little at a time. Here's what I ended up with. Fantastic pot a a great price!

Check this out on AMZN: Thunder Group 60 Quart Aluminum Stock Pot http://amzn.com/B001PZ7K7A

$60 shipped

I use the winware 40qt AL pot, <$50 shipped from amazon. It is nice and thick and AL is easy to modify for a ball valve etc. I have not found a reason to do full volume mash, I usually do about 6 gal strike water and top off to my pre-boil volume. This still results in a thin mash (2qt per pound) and good efficiency.

I bought a metal basket for my kettle but never use it.

I had an 8 then a 10 now a 15. I spent too much a little at a time. Here's what I ended up with. Fantastic pot a a great price!

Check this out on AMZN: Thunder Group 60 Quart Aluminum Stock Pot http://amzn.com/B001PZ7K7A

$60 shipped

That is a great deal for an aluminum pot. After over a dozen BIAB in a tri-clad tuna-can shape 10 gallon stainless pot, I think that the holy grail for 5 gallon batches is a 12.5 gallon tall-form stainless steamer with the basket insert around 4 inches over the bottom of the bottom of the kettle.

For me, the absolute holiest of holy grails is the system sold by High Gravity brewing. http://www.highgravitybrew.com/productcart/pc/BIAB-Electric-Brewing-System-269p3987.htm#.UrmulvRDtHU And even still I wish they offered a 12.5 gallon kettle.
That is pretty much what I'm working towards in my system.

I have the 10 gal. Bayou classic which came with a valve, thermometer, valve screen, and false bottom. It's a bit pricey, but you're set with the triclad bottom & false bottom-no scorching or melting. Also, the valve screen really helps filter out the hops/cold break material. It's really sweet, but as others stated, wish i would have bought the 16 gal setup. Its about $230 complete online. I do alot of IPA's using the 10 gal. and am limited to around 1.070 with the grain bill size & volume for 5.5 in fermenter. Also, the grill grate method with a good squeeze using lid works great! Happy Brewin'! :mug:

From what I've seen, the steamer baskets out there seem to limit the potential volume that might be used for grains. So, when I purchased my kettle, I looked for one that had a compatible steamer tray. The one I purchased fits nicely in my kettle and holds the bag above the ball valve manifold/dip tube. This is important if you want to do recirculation during mashing, which isn't really necessary, but helps to distribute heat more evenly throughout the grain bed.

Back