Need assistance with modifying Stout recipe to add chocolate/cherry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKrakken

Reaction score
Hiya all..

This past Sunday I brewed a Oatmeal stout and I got to thinking.. I'd like try a chocolate cherry stout version, but obviously too late since I JUST brewed this one!

So while it's bubbling away in primary, I thought I have some time to try and see if I can pull this off..

So, any ideas how I can turn this into a chocolate cherry oatmeal stout?

What kind of chocolate to add to the secondary?

I was thinking of using concentrated cherry juice.. add to secondary? to bottling bucket?

Please help me make this a success! :)

also.. thanks to Yooper for the great looking recipe!

7 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 63.64 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 9.09 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 6.82 %
10.0 oz Chocolate malt (pale) (200.0 SRM) Grain 5.68 %
8.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 4.55 %
2.0 oz Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
2.00 oz Williamette [4.80 %] (60 min) Hops 31.6 IBU

1 Pkgs British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335)

You can absolutely make this chocolate and cherry flavored. I have aged beers in secondary on cocoa nibs and fruit many times. And I tend to stay away from concentrate, and just add fresh fruit. It isn't nearly as aggressive.

dcp27,

That's exactly what I"m gong to do.. divide it in half so I can try it both ways.

Now.. where are you all getting your cherries from? And cocoa nibs?

In Pittsburgh we have the Strip District...basically a massive marketplace with lots of vendors. Usually where I get my fruit and other additives like cocoa nibs. If you don't have access to a market, I say just go to a better than average supermarket.

Latest posts

Back