need an all-grain IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armymedic942

Reaction score
All right guys and gals, help a newbie out. I am in the final stages of my EHERMS build, and will be attempting my FIRST all-grain brew within the next 2 weeks.

Looking for suggestions for a good simple 10 gal IPA recipie.

I already have 8oz of Amarillo and 4oz of Citra hop pellets in the freezer, which I plan on including some of in the recipie, other than that I open to anything.

I would preferably like to keep this one pretty simple. Single stage mash, batch sparge and no dry hopping. You know, walk before you run

Looking forward to your replies, don't let me down HBT!

Cheers!

72% 2-row pale malt, Belgian is good
11% Pilsner malt, again Belgian is good
14% Victory or Munich malt
3% Torrified Wheat

I love FWH'ing in an IPA. I have very little real life experience with FWH under my belt, but I'm bottling one this weekend that was FWH'd with Amarillo and Simcoe, no other bittering addition, and it's dreamy.

+1 on FWH. Also if you've never tried a hopstand they're amazing for aroma and flavor. Chill the wort to 180, and dump the hops in. Let them steep for 90 minutes, then chill, transfer and pitch yeast as normal. I've done several FWH/hopstand batches now and they come out great. If you're not going to dry hop then a hopstand is a must IMO. You're going to miss out on a lot of flavor and aroma that way.

Soooooo FWH is what?

I am going to take an educated guess and say Fresh Whole Hops?

am I close?

Looking into adding a Hop Back into the system before start up

Fresh whole hops would be great... but you won't get them for a few months if you're in the northern hemisphere.

Pellets impart more flavor per volume than the whole leaf hops when dry hopping, but I don't think there's a huge difference between the two in the boil. Oregon State did a study a few years back, I'm sure you can find a link on the forums.

Back