Need advice on cleaning plastic barrels for water storge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigtwins

Reaction score
I just acquired 2 50 gallon food grade barrels. They contained vegetable oil before I received them. Since these are closed top I am looking for advice on cleaning them to use for RO water storage. Not sure what would be the best way to clean them of the remaining oil. And I do not want to cut the top off if I dont have to. Anyone had experience with something like this?

a good fragrance free dish soap should cut through vegetable oil eventually. you'll need to do a good bit of rinsing I imagine.

I made up a wash stand for my drums and kegs. It's powered by a 1200gph 36psi pump I bought at harbor freight. I think I paid about $100 for the pump. There are a few different options, sump pumps etc.

Another option is to buy a chimney brush. I considered this but I use the wash pump for other cleaning applications.

If it were me I'd give it a good soak with oxi then power wash & rinse

Yeah, definitely need a CIP-type pumped thingamajig... Probably a piece of PVC with holes drilled in it, capped on one end would be enough... Look up DIY keg cleaners for some ideas

Thanks for the ideas. I will look into a cleaner with a pump. I already have a pump just need to plumb it up.

Back