Need Advice on a 10 or 15 Gallon Spike Solo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vindee

Reaction score
I am currently brewing 5 or 5.5 gallon batches in an 8 gallon kettle on propane with no problems as long as I watch the hot break closely.
So I'm not sure why a 10 gallon Spike Solo kettle wouldn't work but I keep seeing where if you are doing 5 1/2 gallon batches you should go with a 15 gallon kettle.
Looking for your thoughts.

What kind of mash and later do you currently do?

For boiling, you will be very happy with the additional 2 gallons of space.

What size is the maximum grain bill you will brew? Will the 10 gallon spike accommodate that much grain? Chances are, you will be good with the spike.

If you occasionally brew beers bigger than the Spike can handle, you have the option of bumping up the OG with some DME or LME.

I do a single infusion and batch sparge. I know you can do a full volume mash but I still like the idea of a rinse.

The intent with the solo is to do full volume mashes. You can do whatever you want. I brew biab with an ss brewtech in a 10.5 gallon pot and have gone up to 1078 full volume mash which absolutely maxxed out the pot. (Had to pour a lil over a pint over the bag when I lifted it out. Also lost some wort with a messy recirculation)
The 15 gallon solo will do any gravity beer you want full volume.
It'll always be tight on the 10 gallon.

The 10 gallon size will be fine for most 5.5 gallon batches in my experience. The advice for getting a 15 gallon kettle is so you can do full-volume 5.5 gallon batches of high gravity all-malt beers like imperial stouts or barley wines. You can always reduce your batch size for high gravity beers if you go with the 10-gallon. A 15 gallon kettle is also nice when using a bag with no basket, as it gives you extra width to remove the bag without spilling any wort over the sides. A 10 gallon kettle is smaller, lighter and easier to maneuver while cleaning and rinsing in a laundry tub.

If you use an immersion chiller, look at the height of it and how it will fit into the typical batch size you would make in a 15 or 10 gallon kettle. Some chillers may not be completely covered when doing a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle which may effect the cooling time.

The 10 gallon size will be fine for most 5.5 gallon batches in my experience. The advice for getting a 15 gallon kettle is so you can do full-volume 5.5 gallon batches of high gravity all-malt beers like imperial stouts or barley wines. You can always reduce your batch size for high gravity beers if you go with the 10-gallon. A 15 gallon kettle is also nice when using a bag with no basket, as it gives you extra width to remove the bag without spilling any wort over the sides. A 10 gallon kettle is smaller, lighter and easier to maneuver while cleaning and rinsing in a laundry tub.

If you use an immersion chiller, look at the height of it and how it will fit into the typical batch size you would make in a 15 or 10 gallon kettle. Some chillers may not be completely covered when doing a 5 gallon batch in a 15 gallon kettle which may effect the cooling time.
All good points. I love the 10 gallon size for ease of cleaning

Latest posts

Back