Need advice making this coffee stout richer, deeper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechphisto

Reaction score
We just tried this new recipe I came up with to clone Mother's Winter Grind, and it's really good! Everyone who's tried it has complimented it. I'm pleased. But the one problem, is it's kind of weak. The flavor profile is perfect, but, it's very light.
I could use some advice on how to bring out, bolden, the flavor without changing the balances.
Can it be as simple as removing a gallon of water from it? Only doing 4 gallons?
Thanks for any suggestions!

PRIMARY (2 weeks)
16 oz American Flaked Barley || Grain || 160 deg 30 min
8 oz Caramel Malt - Crystal 60L || Grain || 160 deg 30 min
5 oz Chocolate Malt || Grain || 160 deg 30 min
1 oz Black Patent Malt || Grain || 160 deg 30 min
(remove grains, sparge,
bring to boil, then off heat)
6.6 lbs Amber Malt Extract || Extract || Dissolve then Boil 60 min
1 oz Willamette (A: 4.8%) || Hop || Boil in bag last 45 min
1 oz Fuggles (A: 4.9%) || Hop || Boil in bag last 10 min
1 pkg ClarityFerm || Clarifier || Pitch with yeast
1 pkg Safale S-04 || Yeast || Pitch at 65F
SECONDARY (separate, by itself during last 7 primary days)
8 oz French roast, course grind || Flavor
2 cups Vanilla vodka || Flavor
Let beans steep 7 days,
add to bottling bucket
and rack on top
BOTTLING (2 weeks)
4 oz Corn sugar (measure by weight, not volume) || Sugar || Boil 5 minutes in 2 c. water, allow to cool.

Maybe try to bump the OG and carbonate with the same wort as the main batch?

Simplest way to do this is to keep the same grain percentages, but reduce overall water volume/batch size (or increase overall grain weight), and re-calibrate hop additions to provide the same amount of IBU as the original recipe. If you increase the grain weight, do the same for the coffee etc. also (keep it proportional).

Since you're brewing extract, you can simulate the increased body of a higher mash temp by adding in an unfermentable like lactose or maltodextrin. Probably the latter, as I understand it won't add sweetness, just body.

Degas and measure the FG of the beer you want to clone. What was your FG? Unfortunately with extract it’s hard to control that. Maltodextrin will help. I think a lot of people don’t realize just how high the FG gravity is on some of their favorite stouts.

Back