Need advice for Boiler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbiewinemaker

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am interested in taking the leap to electric brewing. I want to create my own setup. I am stuck on trying to find a boiler however. I really don't know if I want an element to go down inside the liquid. I am thinking I would rather have a boiler that the pot sits on top of. Does anyone have any good suggestions for what boiler to use? I am having troubles finding one. I watched a youtube video of someone using the t-500 boiler but I cannot find it without the pot on top. I already have a pot! I am looking to make no more than 10 gallons at a time so i think 120V will be just fine.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Thanks!

what type of pot do you have? you made be able to use induction heating.

6105i%2BKO3hL._SL1000_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00514BTJ6/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00514BTJ6&linkCode=as2&tag=spikeb-20&linkId=WUUND3VPVZECIIOT

aluminum will not work with induction. a lot of stainless won't either. stainless kettles with additional iron in the bottoms are available specifically for this application. the new v3 kettles from spike brewing will have this feature, other manufacturers do as well.

I actually think I have decided to go ahead and get the t-500 boiler since it has the kettle already then I do not have to go get a new kettle. I am going to get the 220V ($189) one and use a Johnson control unit on it. Then I will work on figuring out what to use for a grain basket. And then add a little pump to do circulation during the mash. I have literally no experience with electric brewing so this will be my first stab at it.

Thanks!

First, I think 120V will struggle to boil 10 gallons, so the move to 240V is smart.

Now, I would suggest you look for brew specific kettles. Or better, there are several turnkey BIAB kits around (or build your own if inclined). By the time you mess around with a non-engineered solution, you would be better off putting up a few bucks to get something that will work correctly out of the box.

Back