Need advice for an Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KavDaven

Reaction score
I finally went out and secured a 10G cooler to make bigger beers.

Now I'm concerned, I don't have a large enough kettle. I have 5, 8 and 10G aluminum stock pots. I can control my waters to keep to the 10G kettle but should I?

I'm using ProMash's water needed calculator. I never thought I had any issues in water calculation on 1.060 beers or lower. Now that I'm shooting for a 1.086 imperial stout, I'm thinking the water calculator will keep me from a boil over on a 10G kettle but I won't make my OG.

If I did go out and get a bigger kettle, how would I calculate my water to get my OG target?

How much pre-boil and post-boil volume do you want? It's up to you. "Making your OG" is a function of efficiency, too - you can always use more grain and stop sparging when you get to your volume. I would say about 8 gallons pre-boil is about as far as I'd go on a 10gal boil kettle.

I finally went out and secured a 10G cooler to make bigger beers.

Now I'm concerned, I don't have a large enough kettle. I have 5, 8 and 10G aluminum stock pots. I can control my waters to keep to the 10G kettle but should I?

I'm using ProMash's water needed calculator. I never thought I had any issues in water calculation on 1.060 beers or lower. Now that I'm shooting for a 1.086 imperial stout, I'm thinking the water calculator will keep me from a boil over on a 10G kettle but I won't make my OG.

If I did go out and get a bigger kettle, how would I calculate my water to get my OG target?

You should have no problem making 6 gallons (let alone 5) of 1.086 wort with a 10 gallon kettle. What are you expecting for a preboil volume?

If you are making a 5 gal brew, the 8 gallon is perfect.
I have been using a MegaPot 8 gal for sometime now. As long as you are attentive when your wort is reaching boil temp., watching out for hot break and when adding hops, you will be fine.
I usually sparge out about 6.5 gallons and stop.

Ok, next weekend, 27SEP14, is my brew day.

Here's my plan. 5.3G into the mash. 5G to sparge. Should leave me with 7.75G of wort going into my 10G pot. I bought some fermcap and hope that will somehow reduce/prevent boil over. I intend a 90 min boil. Should leave me with 6G at the end of the boil. Minus trub and chill, I should have just over 5G of wort. I'll use my newly purchased refractometer throughout to see if I'm anywhere near my target gravity.

The only other issue, I went from a 2" burner to a 10" burner. I've completed only one previous brew with it. This 10" burner is amazing! After a few years with a 2", wow, heats faster, stronger boil, sit further away, and now I watch the brew more closely. I couldn't stop messing with the regulator and air control, trying to figure where the flame should be.

To recap:
7.75G preboil
fermcap
90min boil
10" burner

I would think that there would still be residual sugars in the grain. Another beer?

Possibly enough for another brew. Sounds like a good plan. 8gal in our 10gal kettle gets a tad bit dicey at the beginning of the boil, but nothing unreasonable, so should be fine.

Back