Need a small quick beer recipe in the next hour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewD

Reaction score
A "pipeline filler" so to speak. I am leaving in an hour on an errands run in an hour and want to pick up ingredients for a small, quick fermenting ale to fill the pipeline. (My American Wheat is going too quickly and my Scottish 60 is just about gone) I'm leaning towards JZ's American Rye/Wheat from Classic Styles, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the local stores might not have rye malt. I have a pack of Safale 4 in my fridge, but I probably won't be using that given my criteria. I'm looking at JZ's Cream Ale as a backup plan, but flaked rice or corn might not be available. An Alaskan Amber clone sounds good, but I'm not too hot on lagering it for weeks.

11lbs 2row 1.25 lbs Munich 1.25 lbs crystal 40L, .5 lb carapils dextrine malt then use a clean ale yeast and for hops pick 3 different "ipa" hops and mix them together, then add 1/2oz at onset of boil and 1/2 oz at flameout- then 1/4 oz every ten minutes- ie 50,40,30,20,10. It's a continually hopped ipa.

If you haven't already pulled the trigger on it I made a pale ale that turned out nice at a friend's home brewery before I got my equipment:
9# 2 row
1# belgian biscuit
1oz northern brewer @ 60 min
1oz northern brewer @ 15 min
1 ox fuggle @ 5 min

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am glad to be refreshed on what SMash's are. I've been wanting to start a thread asking for recipes/commercial examples for beers that really highlight a single ingredient. Now I will just look at the various SMash threads.

I went to the LHBS but it was closed. So I went to Whole Foods and ended up getting everything for the JZ Wheat/Rye ale I had planned on (it's called Kent's Hollow Leg-Rye Option in Classic Styles). I'm heating up the mash tun right now. Whole Foods was interesting. Their grain selection is fantastic, and the mill is clean and easy to use. Their yeast/hops selection was minimal (no Centennial or even Cascade, and I had to get White Labs CA Ale. I might just use my packet of SF-04 as I didn't have time to make a starter).

It's true: http://beeradvocate.com/community/threads/whole-foods-cupertino-new-home-brew-department.22964/

Seems like there's a few across the country that have opened a homebrew section. Strange... I guess it's good? Would be interested to hear more of the OP's experience shopping there.

They have an excellent selection of grains and a decent selection of misc. ingredients and basic equipment. Like I said before, the yeast and hops leaves a little to be desired. They have hop union pellets in one oz bags, and carry only white labs yeast tubes. If you've got a few backup recipes in case they are out of something, you could easily go in there and get what you need for a batch. Grains are flat at $1.25 a pound, with good prices on full sacks. The yeast was $6.99 and the hops are $1.99 oz I think.

Latest posts

Back