Need a simple stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I am relatively new to brewing and I have been hammering away at perfecting one APA recipe and I got it and love it....

I want to get a good stout preferably with Fuggles as I like their taste. I see many recipes that are very involved, I prefer something simple till I get the hang of the style.

Anybody want to share a recipe?

Edit: I would like to have it creamy (guinness like), not sure what causes the mouthfeel etc (aside from nitrogen)

+1 to Yoopers Oatmeal Stout.
a simple stout recipe is:

7 lbs of maris otter or 2-row
2lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley
English hops, 40 - 50 IBU's all added at 60 minutes

2lbs flaked barley
1 lb roasted barley

Then you can start tweaking the recipe to your taste.

I want to get a good stout preferably with Fuggles as I like their taste. I see many recipes that are very involved, I prefer something simple till I get the hang of the style.

Anybody want to share a recipe?

Edit: I would like to have it creamy (guinness like), not sure what causes the mouthfeel etc (aside from nitrogen)

Although Yooper's is quite good, with eight grains it is probably not as simple as you want.

I think Biermuncher's "Ode to Arthur" would be a tested recipe similar to what how1 suggests if you don't want to formulate one on your own just yet.

I'm sure substituting Fuggles would not be an issue, also read post #3 where he discusses possibly changing the grain percentages for a little less roastiness.

Recipe HERE

If you are looking for a creamy mouth feel an oatmeal stout is a good idea. Without beer gas I'm not sure a dry stout will be as creamy. You really can't go wrong with recipes from @Yooper, @Biermuncher or @Edwort . Three powerhouses of creation here on HBT who's recipes I have used as a base with some minor tweaks here and there.

I generally like beers without much in the way of fruit or other additions. I certainly don't have the knowledge or skills to create a recipe myself so I don't try to reinvent the wheel. I Take a solid recipe, make minor changes to allow for my system's efficiency, alter hops to allow for differing AA% from crop to crop, and substitute yeast to mix it up a bit. I don't qualify that as making my own recipe but the beer will be unique nonetheless.

A stout will have some components which have to be there and are ubiquitous in all the solid recipes. Have fun deciding. A difficult and often mouthwatering task.

Yooper's Oatmeal Stout. Yum! image.jpg

2lbs flaked barley

1 lb roasted barley

Mmmmm Yoopers looks good but as mentioned may be to many grains for learning a style. I have to buy by lb as well.

I hear flaked oats add the creaminess, could I sub them into this recipe? Or should I just add them to the above recipe?

You could put 1 lb of flaked oats in and drop the flaked barley to maybe half of a pound

You could put 1 lb of flaked oats in and drop the flaked barley to maybe half of a pound

Here is what I'm planning for a grain bill.

7 lbs of maris otter

.5 lbs flaked barley

1 lb roasted barley

1 lb flaked oats

I was considering half lb of special b. Any thoughts?

I am flying blind on this one as I'm trying to learn the style and don't know the taste of barley.

Latest posts

Back