Need a recipe that commercial beer drinkers may like

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gooser

Reaction score
We do a BBQ in the fall and I'm looking to brew a beer that might appeal to someone who usually drinks big 3 beer.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'm at a bit of a loss

I have a cream ale carbonating that I brewed for that purpose. We will see how it comes out. It's pretty mild so far, so maybe they will like it.

a Helles lager
80/20 pils/Vienna
any noble hop to 20-25 IBU
ferment w/34-70
shoot for an OG around 1.050, FG 1.010

My experience with this has been pretty negative. Most won't like it.

Best success i had was a 70% 2-row, 30% rice, 1.048, 15 IBU (lol 1oz hops for 10G) *LAGER*. Killed a keg in a couple hours.

When i put out a german pilsner the following year almost no one went back for seconds even though it was amazing.

A lager like a Pilsner seems to have the best mass appeal to me. If you can only do ales then maybe a Kolsch.

I would say a Helles is a great lager to try..I would say Hard Lemonade ALWAYS goes well or if your looking for an ale stick with a Kolsch

Lemonade recipe I have tried and it works:

Ingredients (makes 6-7 gallons):

- 12 cans preservative-free Lemonade concentrate (I use Nature's best
brand from Aldi's cause it is cheap, Minute Maid is another option)
- 1 lb Extra light or Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract
- 2.5 lbs corn sugar
- Yeast nutrient
- Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne Yeast (THIS YEAST IS VERY IMPORTANT, OTHER CHAMPAGNE YEASTS HAVE A HARD TIME WITH THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMONADE, BE SURE TO FOLLOW THE YEAST PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS BELOW AS WELL)
- Potassium Sorbate
- Appx 8 cups regular cane sugar

Rehydrate yeast:

Rehydrate yeast by combining 1 cup warm water with 1 tbsp of lemonade concentrate and just a couple yeast nutrient pellets with Lalvin EC-1118 Champagne yeast, Allow to sit for at least a half hour. You should see vigorous action in the yeast when ready.

Brewing the wort:

In a 2.5+ gal brew pot, combine 1 lb Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract (DME) with 3 lbs corn sugar to appx 2 gal boiling water. This will give you appx 9% abv when finished. To increase alcohol, increase sugar and/or DME, use less sugar to lower ABV). Stir until completely disolved Remove from heat, and 7 tsp yeast nutrient.

Combine wort in large plastic fermentor bucket with 10 cans lemonade concentrate, and enough cold water to fill bucket to bring total volume to 6 gal. Make sure temp is between 65 - 75 degrees, and take initial hydrometer reading. Pitch in your yeast starter. Put lid and airlock on fermentor and allow to ferment at room temp.

Kolsch recipe (I have not tried its in my queue)

7 lbs. German pilsner malt
1 lb. Wheat malt
2.75 oz. of 3.9AA Hallertau for 60 minutes (25-27 IBU's)

If you can do a step mash then do a 127 degree rest for 15 minutes then 148.
If not then do a single infusion at 148 for 90 minutes and do an iodine test.

90 minute boil unless your system is set up for 60 minutes.

Wyeast 2565 Kolsch yeast at 60 degrees.

On our system this works out to:
OG 1.046
IBU's 26.4

The pictures i the Helles Recipe, which is really good ive made it twice.

626c7da9-0f5f-41c1-8358-a8bfdfe9a879.png

I regularly brew two ales that are light, easy to drink, mild and that *usually* go down ok with Miller/Coors/Bud aficionados. The first is a summer wheat ale and the second is a cream ale. Two keys:

1) Get the beers clear. Cold crash and lager for a week or two if possible. Most folks who don't drink craft beer will be put off by a hazy beer.

2) Make the beer as clean as possible, with as few esters as possible. Use a yeast with a clean fermentation profile, like US-05/American Ale/California Ale, pitch enough of it, pitch it at 65F or less, ferment it at 65F, give it plenty of time to clean up after itself after active fermentation is completed.

Here's the recipes for the summer wheat (which won a medal last summer) and the cream ale:

http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Wheat-Ale.html
http://www.singingboysbrewing.com/Cream_Ale.html

I've had really good success for the same situation by making a simple 2-row SMaSH with ~20 IBU, all early-mid hop additions. It'll be plain-jane as f*&k, but that's pretty much what you need to pander to Bud drinkers.

If you can do 10gal batches, dry-hop one bucket so that you have something a bit more interesting for yourself to drink, and serve the vanilla to the guests.

what treacheroustexan said. I do cream of 3 crops all the time for my bmc drinker friends. And as a plus, i enjoy it as well.

Thanks everyone! Lots of replies in so little time. I've got lots to work with here. I'll let you know what I chose and how it goes over.
Thanks again! :mug:

I second the thoughts on light ales already mentioned.

Or go another route. Brew what you like and if they like it fine, if not, oh well. I find that whatever I offer gets drunk. Give them something tasty and show them there are other options available.

I've been recommending this one a fair bit lately, but a nice kolsch or blonde ale would be a good way to go.

KOLSCH
95% 2 Row
5% Vienna
1.5 oz hallertauer @ 60
0.5 oz hallertauer @ 15
WY 2656 Kolsch

Switch to something like Cascade hops and US-05 yeast and it becomes a blonde.

Back