need a little help with cacao nibs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frostbrewer

Reaction score
This is NB's imperial stout recipe.
I bought some cacao nibs to add to it. I got an OG of 1.085. It's been in primary now for 4 weeks. haven't checked FG.

Additional info: I plan to bulk age this in a corny keg until Christmas.

I would appreciate some input on when and how to add the nibs.

15 lbs. Rahr Pale Ale malt
- 0.5 lbs Roasted Barley
- 0.5 lbs English Black Malt
- 0.5 lbs English Chocolate Malt
- 0.5 lbs English Medium Crystal
MASH SCHEDULE: SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 151° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 168° F for 10 minutes
BOIL ADDITIONS & TIMES
1.75 oz Summit (60 min)
2 oz Cascade (0 min)
YEAST
Wyeast #1728 Scottish Ale. (Huge starter)

IMG_20150419_200137.jpg

I've used nibs extensively and here's how I do it:
Put them in a flask just barely covered with water (and chopped up vanilla beans to round out the chocolate flavor) and boil it for like 1min. Let cool and toss the whole mixture into the primary. 3 benefits to this: it sanitizes them, extracts more of their flavors, and makes your kitchen smell awesome

side note: when was that pic taken? If that's at 4 weeks, Im very surprised theres still that much krausen....unless its just stuck to the sides

Totally stuck to the sides. Lol

That is from nearly 4 weeks ago. Probably day 3 of primary ferm.

I have since replaced the blowoff tube w an airlock As well.

Thank you for the advice.
2 questions:
do the 2 vanilla beans add a lot of vanilla flavor? Not a huge vanilla beer fan.

How long should i leave the beans in the beer before I rack to my aging vessel?

I use Nibs a bit differently. I crush them, put them in a canning jar, and cover them with vodka (or similar neutral spirit). You can do the same for oak chips and vanilla. A lot of the yummy compounds in oak, vanilla, and chocolate aren't very water soluble but can be "extracted" in alcohol. I usual let the little batch stew for a week or two, but it could stay indefinitely. When it comes time to keg (or bottle), I titrate to my liking by adding a small volume to a pint of beer. Lots of control with this approach. Also, in my experience, the aroma of chocolate is somewhat fleeting, so being able to add just before bottling/kegging is ideal for flavor and nose.

Just my two cents. . .
Pete

2 vanilla beans gives a subtle flavor. If you arent a fan, maybe one would be better. I've just found that adding vanilla is best to round out the flavor for a more milk chocolate character. If youre the kind of person that likes +80% dark chocolate, maybe just go with the nibs.

I toss in the vanilla and nibs like a dry hop. 5-7 days before bottling or kegging

I toast then in a oven for 12 minutes at 350. Add in a muslin bag and taste daily until desired amount of flavor is reached.

Typically, 4 oz in a 5-6 gallon batch. 2-3 DAYS.

So I'm looking at adding these nibs in December then? Just before i carbonate?

Or would it be better to add now, rack in 1 week, then age so that the flavors blend completely? I suppose the chocolate could potentially disappear by then. Idk, this is my first attempt haha

I appreciate all of the different points of view and suggestions. Thank you

I'd add them now and rack it for aging. As long as you minimize oxygen exposure (whether by purging a keg or using a carboy with little to no headspace) it should keep pretty well. If you are bottling, I would actualyl suggest bottling within the next month or so and doing the aging in bottles as opposed to agining in the carboy and bottling closer to Xmas

I was instructed to cover them in vodka and sit for 2+ months and add at bottling. I used 4 oz in a 5.5 (5.25 by bottlin day) batch. It has a nice dark chocolate flavor.

Seems like every other brewer has a different method with nibs.

My only recommendation is to make sure they are roasted befoe you do anything with them. The flavor can be off ifm you use raw nibs.

When I make Chocolate Milk Stout I soak the nibs in vodka for two weeks and then "dry hop" them for two weeks before bottling. I put them into a muslin bag weighted with lead-free glass marbles and suspend the bag into the middle of the beer using unflavored dental floss. I also add all of the soaking vodka into the beer. I've notices that the nibs will absorb quite a bit of vodka, so check to make sure they remain covered in a layer of liquid vodka during the extraction period.

Back