Need a Diagnosis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon

Reaction score
I brewed Austin's Budget IPA. I added an extra ounce of hops at the beginning of the boil to up the bitterness. One week in primary. One week in secondary. While bottling, I had a ton of problems with bubbles in my tubing. I remember it even resulted in froth in the bottling bucket. One week after bottling, I cracked a bottle. It tasted green but definitely had the hop profile I was looking for. I swirled the bottles gently as I typically do after one week to stir the yeast and prompt conditioning. About another week later, I cracked another one. It was drastically different. The hop flavor has diminished greatly, and it tastes like pineapple. It basically tastes like a pale ale with pineapple or citrus notes. My hops were 2 oz magnum bittering, cascade flavor, and falconers flight aroma.

So what's the deal? Oxidation from the tubing issues? An infection picked up somewhere along the way? Or just normal hop fading?

Sounds like normal hop fading to me. The character of the beer can change over time since your dealing with a live organism. I've had this happen to me quite a bit. Those flavors don't sound out of the ordinary for the hops you used. Especially since Citra can give off a pineapple/mango flavor

You used very citrusy flavor and aroma hops, so that flavor might hang around for a while.

Back