Need a chocolate stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_D

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a friend that's asking me for a chocolate stout. Can you guys point me in the direction of a good recipe? Maybe a little on the sweet side?

Thanks!

A friend and I made the following as a 10 gallon batch. I cut everything in half to scale to 5. It was delicious on its own, delicious dry-coffee-beaned and otherworldly on oak. If you want it a little sweeter, I'd just increase the C-40 to a full pound. We were pushing the limits of the mash tun, so our mash/sparge took forever, so the wort probably got more fermentable than it would have otherwise. Less fermentable would probably taste a little sweeter and have much better mouthfeel.

13 2-row
1.5 chocolate
.5 C-40
1 Brown malt

8oz Hersheys Dark Cocoa Powder at flameout (1/2 of the tub found in the baking section of the grocery store)

4.5oz Willamette 60+ (you can probably sub whatever, so long as the IBUs work out)

WY1318
80/15/8.5%
41 SRM, 60 IBUs

Check this site's recipe database for Cheshire cat's chocolate stout. I've made it many times and it's always great. I go a little lighter on the cocoa than the recipe calls for

Personally, I don't think adding chocolate or cocoa or whatever is even needed to make a good beer that evokes chocolate. To this day, the most "chocolate-y" beer I've tasted is a sweet stout I made a few months ago, that continues to knock the socks off everybody who tries it. I cobbled it together, taking elements of two previous stouts I'd made that I really liked, which is why some of the quantities look a bit random.

10gal batch:

10lbs 2-row
7.5lbs maris otter
2lbs 2oz Crystal 60L
1lbs 10oz flaked oats
1lbs 4oz chocolate malt
1lbs 4oz roasted barley
8oz black (patent) malt
8oz lactose
1oz magnum (14%) - 60min
1oz EKG (5%) - 15min

Windsor Ale Yeast

With my setup I got 1.073 OG and about 1.032 FG.

The Windsor yeast is an important element because it does not attenuate very strongly, which leaves you with a sweet beer. I thought the 1.032 was way too high based on what I read on the internet, but you can't believe everything you read; the beer is damn good. It's definitely more of a "dessert" beer that you have 1 at a time and savor rather than chug, but it's a keeper recipe for me.

Back