Nectarine cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keenan

Reaction score
I am new to making cider, first batch turned out really well, just used Apple juice yeast sugar. I acquired a large amount of nectarines and was wondering what the process was to add the fruit to the already fermenting Apple juice also of it's possible to carbonate after wards with out letting the batch turn bad. will post results with some help. thanks !

I was just thinking about making this. The nectarines this year have been intensely flavorful.

I would peel 1/2 and cut all into 1in cubes in Ziploc bags and freeze. Defrost. Add the ones with peels to primary. After primary slows, transfer onto 2nd 1/2 of fruit. Let sit for 1-2 weeks. If you want it crystal clear, transfer again and wait. Cold-crash if possible.

Bottle/keg per usual protocol.

I would use 2 lb/gallon. I would: wash them, slice in half or quarters, remove pits, put them in big Ziplock freezer bags, freeze, thaw, add 1 crushed Campden tablet per pound, squish them all up into a pulp (still in the Ziplocks), refrigerate for 48 hours, place into a clean sanitized fermenter, and rack the cider on top of them. Ferment until it's done -- might take a week, might take a month, might take longer. Final gravity will likely be down in the 0.994 area. When ready to package, add a bit of xylitol to backsweeten to taste (but keep it away from your pets -- xylitol is lethal to dogs), then bottle or keg as normal.

Cheers and good luck.

I would use 2 lb/gallon. I would: wash them, slice in half or quarters, remove pits, put them in big Ziplock freezer bags, freeze, thaw, add 1 crushed Campden tablet per pound, squish them all up into a pulp (still in the Ziplocks), refrigerate for 48 hours, place into a clean sanitized fermenter, and rack the cider on top of them. Ferment until it's done -- might take a week, might take a month, might take longer. Final gravity will likely be down in the 0.994 area. When ready to package, add a bit of xylitol to backsweeten to taste (but keep it away from your pets -- xylitol is lethal to dogs), then bottle or keg as normal.

Cheers and good luck.
What is the range of xylitol one should add for sweetness in a 5 gallon batch? Just pour in and stir? Does it run the risk of adding off flavors? Thanks Dave!

A little less than 3 TBSP per gallon works for me. It will affect specific gravity pretty much like sugar does, so you can actually measure the sweetness level too.

Back