Nearly 36 hours into fermentation and not seeing any activity.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nyrmc23

Reaction score
I brewed an amber ale Friday night and woke up Sunday (today) to check on the batch and I'm not seeing any bubbles coming up through the stopper. A lot has settled on the bottom of the carboy and i'm seeing some activity at the krausen level at the surface. I'm keeping it in a closed, dark closet in a bedroom that is between 67-72 degrees.

Should I be concerned yet?

I brewed an amber ale Friday night and woke up Sunday (today) to check on the batch and I'm not seeing any bubbles coming up through the stopper. A lot has settled on the bottom of the carboy and i'm seeing some activity at the krausen level at the surface. I'm keeping it in a closed, dark closet in a bedroom that is between 67-72 degrees.

did you take any hydrometer readings?
what yeast ,what temp was the wort when you pitched it and how much?

My SG was 1.044. I did half a packet of US-05 (it's a one-gallon batch) and it was around 69 degrees when I pitched.

krausen on the surface is a good visual indication that fermentation has taken place. Absence of bubbles in the air-lock could be due to the CO2 exiting somewhere else.

No.

My SG was 1.044. I did half a packet of US-05 (it's a one-gallon batch) and it was around 69 degrees when I pitched.

This looks reasonable.

My experience with gallon batches and half packets (5.0-ish grams) of US-05 is that the yeast often get to work quickly and easily visible signs of fermentation may no longer exist at this point. Often (but not always), in days 3 to 7, I would see the krausen drop.

My thought would be watch, but take no actiion, for the rest of the week, then take a look again on Friday. The krausen may have dropped by then (a positive indication that fermentation has been moving forward).

After that, let it sit for another week before confirming that fermentation has completed. I generally don't take FG measurements until 10-14 days after brewing the batch.

Back