NE IPA FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millert5020

Reaction score
I recently brewed an all grain NE IPA with a OG of 1.076 and an FG of 1.024. I mashed warmer this time and did everything else as normal, and with this beer I usually get FG 1.016-1.018. Does anyone think my FG of 1.024 is too high? I have seen a lot of recipes for this style with FG 1.020-1.022, but have seen some as low as 1.008. Thoughts?

Ive read of some that intentionally mash high to leave it a bit sweeter, for this style. Its higher then I've ever gotten, but it will be beer, and probably really tasty.

Ive read of some that intentionally mash high to leave it a bit sweeter, for this style. Its higher then I've ever gotten, but it will be beer, and probably really tasty.

I was hoping to mash high to get around 1.02, but it got a little out of hand. Mash temp was 162

My neipas done with 1318 or a38 typically finish in the mid teens; when I used Conan they were a few points drier and frankly not as good, so I've been sticking with the english strains.

If done to style otherwise, there's so much hoppy "bang" I think you could scoot by with a higher finish in the low 20s...

Cheers!

I was hoping to mash high to get around 1.02, but it got a little out of hand. Mash temp was 162
162 is pretty high. My temps for lite beers is 156-158 or they will be to thin. Not sure what others use for NEIpa, but 162 might be a little high. Not a huge deal, I would roll with it

I personally target mine to finish at 1.010 to 1.014. I also bitter mine quite a bit, unlike many and use a west coast water profile with high sulfates. They come out amazing, very Trillium-Like in terms of body and overall flavor profile. I am not after the sweeter, unbalanced varieties.

When you mash above 158F fermentability seems to decrease exponentially, especially with yeasts that can't metabolize maltotriose, or not very well. Beta-amylase activity is very low above 158F and denatures rapidly. So you end up with a very dextrinous wort.
Enzyme Activity in Mash.jpg

^^^ This
Alpha Amylase (154-162F) – Produces a variety of sugars, including maltose and also some unfermentable sugars. Mashing at the higher end of this range produces more unfermentables and therefore more body in the finished beer.

162 is pretty high. My temps for lite beers is 156-158 or they will be to thin. Not sure what others use for NEIpa, but 162 might be a little high. Not a huge deal, I would roll with it

I usually stay 156 myself, but my London ale III 1318 kept ripping apart the sugars and I never got over 1.012-1.014, so I went a little extreme. It worked a little too well I think.

My neipas done with 1318 or a38 typically finish in the mid teens; when I used Conan they were a few points drier and frankly not as good, so I've been sticking with the english strains.

If done to style otherwise, there's so much hoppy "bang" I think you could scoot by with a higher finish in the low 20s...

Cheers!

What I have found with the beer is that hop bang is less. But not in a bad way. It is actually creamy, balanced, and drinks great at 7%.

When you mash above 158F fermentability seems to decrease exponentially, especially with yeasts that can't metabolize maltotriose, or not very well. Beta-amylase activity is very low above 158F and denatures rapidly. So you end up with a very dextrinous wort.
View attachment 568635

I love the chart! Where did you find it? Any chart on hop oil utilization?

^^^ This
Alpha Amylase (154-162F) – Produces a variety of sugars, including maltose and also some unfermentable sugars. Mashing at the higher end of this range produces more unfermentables and therefore more body in the finished beer.

Thank you! I was going my alpha amylase in hopes for longer chain sugars for a higher FG, it just was not excessive than I had hoped. Just wondering if anyone thought it'd be too sweet. It actually turned out amazing!

I love the chart! Where did you find it? Any chart on hop oil utilization?

That graph has been posted on HBT in many related threads. I just saved a copy for reference. Not sure what the source of the actual graph is, except for the source credits given underneath its title.

John Palmer's book How to Brew contains various graphs, diagrams, and tables on brewing. Some may be found in his (old, 2nd ed.) online publication. The book has formulas and a table for hop utilization.

[EDIT]I'm not aware of any graphs on hop utilization, except for the ones AHA published in an article in the March/April 2018 edition of Zymurgy on IBUs attained during hop stands (whirlpool hops) at various temperatures. That's kinda new territory, grafting onto Tinseth's research in hop utilization and resulting IBU contributions.

Last edited:
Thank you! I was going my alpha amylase in hopes for longer chain sugars for a higher FG, it just was not excessive than I had hoped. Just wondering if anyone thought it'd be too sweet. It actually turned out amazing!

For many homebrewers differences in mash temperatures don't always translate to the expected (FG) results. Some have mashed at 148F and at 154F finding either similar attenuation, or not as far apart as expected. Our relatively large process variations may have to take blame for that. I'm sure in a better controlled environment those differences are very real.

Now once one gets to the edges of enzyme activity and denaturing effects, the differences are much more pronounced. Overshoot by 2 degrees and you've got a dextrin soup, undershoot by 2 degrees and the wort becomes much more fermentable than attributable to a 2 degree difference somewhere in the middle range.

I brewed this Dark Oat Mild:
  • 60' Mash, Temp 161°F
    • Between 157 and 163 actually, hard to keep constant in (insulated) kettle
  • OG 1.034
  • FG 1.019 (WY1099)

Very drinkable, low alcohol (2.0%), not sweet and plenty of body and flavor to stand on her own.

The only problem was I didn't get any lasting foam, even under 30-40 psi with a 40' line. The foam was soda-like, big bubbles that dissipated fast.
I think the oils from the large load of Flaked Oats (16%) and Golden Naked Oats (8.5%) were the culprit there.
I'll be brewing this again soon.

Dextrins are not perceived as sweet, they're different than larger sugar molecules, such as maltotriose, which definitely tastes sweet.
There must be studies on dextrins, alone.

Back