NC noob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Hello brewer world! As I said, I'm a noob with lots of gumption and am impatient and wish I was a pro, but am willing to put in the time to learn. I've brewed one batch if Pilsner from a kit maybe 5 years ago and am looking to get back into it. Can't wait to pick some brains and learn thanks!

Hi Cobalt,

Thanks for replying to my introduction so I'm returning the favor.
When you did your pilsner did you lager?

When I started my first step was to get away from the stove top so I bought a turkey fryer set up that allows me to boil the entire 5 gallon batch.

Once I brewed my first batch and was nearing the time of bottling, I ended up finding a good deal on a basic 5# tank and regulator so I went ahead and went straight to kegging.

I find myself at times wondering what it would be like to bottle condition but then I think about the time and storage...

Anyway if I can help with anything having to do with kegging or extract/partial mashing or in general let me know.

Thanks.

Eyeimbibe, thanks for the response. No I did not lager my Pils ad it turned out pretty good. I like the idea of getting off the stove top and may use my fryer. Can I use the aluminum pot, or must it be stainless. As far as bottling, I thought it was a lot of work and storage was a hassle. I'll be kegging my next batch. Can I PM you for advice?

You can use either but try to get 30 qt or bigger. I use a bayou classic kettle. I use a regular stock pot for my mash.

Yep pm when needed and congrats on starting up again!

Welcome to the group. Study the forum stickies, and ask lots of questions. Most homebrewers start with aluminum, usually the $40 turkey fryer from the big box. As long as you boil water first in the pot, to oxidize it (turns dark) aluminum pots make fine beer. Your brew day is much shorter with a turkey fryer.

I have bottled thousands, and it isn't fun, but it isn't as hard as it is made out to be. The hardest part is delabeling, which just takes hot water and patience. I have about a 300 bottle collection now- fortunately, most filled with great homebrew.

Back