NC? NO? DPST? Help Wiring Switches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewprime1

Reaction score
I have been constructing a 120v RIMS control panel based off of an old P-J diagram. Throughout the process I have learned a lot about wiring and electricity, and feel pretty confident in what i'm doing, but I am a little confused about how to wire these switches.

As you can see below, they have 1 NO block and 1 NC block. I have a handful of extra blocks to work with if need be. My understanding is that each one of these blocks is a pole and that my switches are all single throw. Am I correct in that thinking?

I feel like switches 1 and 3 in the diagram are easy; just wire power into #3 and power out to #4 on the NO block, yes?

The one thats got me a bit confused in switch #2 (DPST). It powers both the pump outlet and the power to the PID switch.

So I use should use two NO blocks, right?

Then wire it up like this - NO block one power-in (pigtailed to another wire going to switch 3) and out to the outlet. NO block two - power from + terminal of SSR in and then out to PID on the other side.

Is that correct?

Finally, do I just jumper the power-in wire to X1 to power the LED

Thanks in advance guys! I think I've got it, but I want another opinion.

pzP4Jyr.jpg

43uDqsU.jpg

SHPSlV4.jpg

PQXv0xV.jpg

1FxBRhH.jpg

Finally, do I just jumper the power-in wire to X1 to power the LED

It looks like there is a X1 and X2 terminal. I would jumper a load wire (120v I assume) to X1 and then you will need a neutral connection to X2 to make the light work. I am assuming as I didn't see a diagram for the switch itself.

It looks like there is a X1 and X2 terminal. I would jumper a load wire (120v I assume) to X1 and then you will need a neutral connection to X2 to make the light work. I am assuming as I didn't see a diagram for the switch itself.

Good tip, thank you! Do you know if I could daisy chain the neutral from one switch to the others, or do I have to run dedicated neutral lines to each from my terminal block?

You can daisy-chain it. I think I have all of my hot and neutral switches/LEDs off one run. They take so little power.

Yes, as iijakii said, daisy chaining is fine. The terminals are usually designed for two wires. Just for clarification, If you want the light to indicate that the switch is 'ON', X1 needs to be energized by the switch either from an existing load terminal (output to pump for example) or a separate block dedicated to the light (if the light voltage and voltage being switched do not match). Good luck with the build.

Thanks for the input guys! Btw, for anyone interested. I figured out the DPST switch (#2 in the diagram) that had me stumped! You don't put two NO blocks side by side on the switch, but rather you stack them one on top of the other. With that all sorted I am ready to put the finishing touches on the box and order my RIMs tube from Brew Hardware. Thanks again for all your help.

Back