NB White House Honey Porter boil time/extract addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GammaRay4130

Reaction score
My first 3 batches were extract, whereas the last 12 or so have been all grain so I have a question about the NB white house honey porter kit that I got free when I ordered some kegging equipment.

Considering it would make for a quicker brew day to do a partial boil and top off with chilled water I think I am going to go this route instead of a full boil.

Anyway looking at the recipe it says to add the honey and all LME at 60 minutes with the first hop addition at 45. My question is would doing a 45 minute boil and adding the honey and LME at 45 minutes, saving the second half of LME around flameout have any adverse effects on the beer?

I recently brewed the Whitehouse Honey Ale kit and only put a small amount of lme in at the start of the boil along with the hops. The remainder of the lme and honey was added at about 5 min remaining and it turned out just fine. So your plan sounds ok. Go fer it! :mug:

Thanks Sudz. Went ahead and did the late extract addition like I usually do. Wasn't sure if adding all of it at 60 and the first hop addition at 45 was to carmelize the the LME or something. Either way its in the bucket now and it will be beer! :mug:

How did this turn out? I am actually brewing the kit right now. Put everything in at 60 mins though

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back