NB Swig of Sunbeams

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VirginiaHops1

Reaction score
Has anybody done the Northern Brewer swig of sunbeams extract kit? It looks tasty and got really good reviews, although it seems like everything on NB site does which makes me wonder.

I'm shooting for something my wife will really like too, but the ABV clocks in at 8.3% which is probably a bit strong for her. The recipe calls for 1 lb of corn sugar in the last 10 minutes, which I was going to leave out to lower the ABV.

- 3.15lbs Goldmaltsyrup
- 3.15lbs MarisOttermaltsyrup
- 2lbs GoldenLightDME
- 1lb CornSugar (10min late addition)

As a side question, are there any free apps/software you guys use to easily calculate ABV, IBU, etc when you modify extract kits or build from scratch? I know about beersmith but I don't feel like paying for software until I get further down the road experience-wise.

Last edited:
Has anybody done the Northern Brewer swig of sunbeams extract kit? It looks tasty and got really good reviews, although it seems like everything on NB site does which makes me wonder.

I'm shooting for something my wife will really like too, but the ABV clocks in at 8.3% which is probably a bit strong for her. The recipe calls for 1 lb of corn sugar in the last 10 minutes, which I was going to leave out to lower the ABV.

- 3.15lbs Goldmaltsyrup
- 3.15lbs MarisOttermaltsyrup
- 2lbs GoldenLightDME
- 1lb CornSugar (10min late addition)

As a side question, are there any free apps/software you guys use to easily calculate ABV, IBU, etc when you modify extract kits or build from scratch? I know about beersmith but I don't feel like paying for software until I get further down the road experience-wise.[/QUOTE

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator Brewer's friend is great. You can make adjustments and it gives you a good idea what will happen. It's likely you can find the link on this site but I haven't looked.
If the fermentables and hops are balanced, it should mask any strong alcohol flavor. I'd be reluctant to alter it so drastically. However--there's always a "however" with beer. I bet it would be good minus the one pound of sugar. I've learned that it's really hard to mess up beer.

I somehow put my answer in the pinkish box. I had to click "see more" or something to see my reply to yours. OOPS!

I somehow put my answer in the pinkish box. I had to click "see more" or something to see my reply to yours. OOPS!

Hey I got it. Thanks for the reply. I still may do this kit at some point but I ended up buying a bunch of hops and DME for my next beer and I'm going to try to put together a simple recipe and brew one that way. So far the first 2 IPA brews I've done off of kits haven't turned out great. Drinkable but too dark, both had a toasty/malty almost burnt malt taste. Very muted hops flavor. I'm guessing it's me and not the kits, as I didn't do late extract addition for either so probably overcooked the LME. I'm hoping this next one using DME and a bit heavier on the hops and being much more careful I can get a cleaner tasting beer.

both had a toasty/malty almost burnt malt taste.

It is possible you are applying too much heat to maintain a boil. The boil does not need to be so vigorous the surface of the wort is spitting volcanoes. Boiling is by temperature for your elevation. One degree under 212°F for every 500 feet of elevation above sea level. When the center of the wort in the kettle is showing a rolling motion you have boiling.

My boil temperature is between 208° and 209° at 1495 feet of elevation. I think barometric pressure changes the temperature by half a degree occasionally.

The reason the Northern Brewer always gets great reviews is that they produce good product. It's not fake reviews.

If you want a nice IPA that is lower in ABV, why pay for the double IPA kit? There are other kits available that are already lower ABV with a corresponding lower price. Here's one possibility. https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/ipa-recipe-kits/products/chinook-ipa-all-grain-kit

I would have to agree....I've bought numerous kits from NB and haven't made a bad beer yet. I just did their Summer Squeeze Shandy and I'm super happy with it! Nice wheat beer with a slight hint of lemon.

The reason the Northern Brewer always gets great reviews is that they produce good product. It's not fake reviews.

If you want a nice IPA that is lower in ABV, why pay for the double IPA kit? There are other kits available that are already lower ABV with a corresponding lower price. Here's one possibility. https://www.northernbrewer.com/collections/ipa-recipe-kits/products/chinook-ipa-all-grain-kit

I did the Chinook recipe, which came with my starter kit. I was shooting for a fruitier IPA, to cater to my wife's tastes. The Sunbeams seemed to fit the bill, albeit maybe a little higher in ABV than she likes. I actually decided to skip the kits for my next couple and just bought hops and DME.

I did swig of Sunbeams for my sister for her birthday. I renamed it hurricane courage which sounds more badass. This is an outstanding double IPA. The color was beautiful. It had a ridiculous amount of hops (1/2 lb hop pellets). I would brew again in a heartbeat but while I love IPA's they are not my beer of choice (I like stouts, brown ales, porters).

Latest posts

Back