NB Deluxe 10 Gal Kit Help! New to all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elixir

Reaction score
All Grain brewing is confusing. It says use 1.25 quarts of water per pound of grain you're using for strike water. I am using 10.5 pounds of grain for my recipe (using a kit for my first AG batch) which is roughly 3.28 gallons of water. Then for sparge you use 1/2 gallon of water per pound of grain which makes 5.25 gallons. That makes 8.53 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batch? The system I am using used 10 gal coolers. I do my sacch rest at 154 and mashout at 170. So I have to add a certain amount of water to my HLT to heat it up to mashout temp. This is harder than I thought. I think I am going to need some supervision for my first batch.

Mash water - grain absorption + sparge water - boil off = batch size (into the fermenter).

I wouldn't worry about mash out for your first go around. Just mash with about 4 gallons, and measure you run off. Then subtract that amount from your preboil amount for your sparge volume. If you want to make it easier, just do a single sparge. You won't lose that much on efficiency.

Get on YouTube and watch some videos though. It's not that bad. Just have a good plan and take good notes so you can make adjustments for the next brew. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back