Naturally coloring ginger ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petemc

Reaction score
I'm new to ginger ale brewing (not sure why, it's without question the best liquid substance on earth), as well as this forum. I've sifted through countless threads to help me get started with ginger ale brewing, and it's been a huge help, so before I go any further: thank you, everyone.

Recently, I've been experimenting with brewing small batches of lacto-fermented ginger ale. I have a really spicy brew that I'd like to try to turn red. The trouble is finding a natural ingredient I could add at some point to give the ale a red tint (purely for aesthetic purposes). I've checked everywhere I can think of to find an alternative to red food coloring, but most websites only suggest using beet juice.. so, unfortunately, i'm going forward and experimenting with adding beet juice to a small batch of ginger ale, which, honestly sounds disgusting and will probably ruin the whole batch. Either that, or it will be the most magical beverage ever consumed.

Since I'm using such natural methods to brew my ginger ale, i fear that adding some non-organic ingredient, like store bought food coloring, might alter or even destroy the integrity of the brew. Not only that, but taking so much time to make a completely natural beer, and then adding anything non-organic just seems a bit silly to me. Before I go crazy experimenting with cherries and every red fruit and berry in existence -- has anyone had experience with this? Perhaps you know of a good natural ingredient that complements the brew AND turns it red? i'll really be crossing my fingers for that perfect ingredient, but any information in general would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Pete

My first thought was also beet juice, which I don't think will provide much flavor. Otherwise, some red fruit like raspberry or strawberry might work but may make it more pink than red!

+1 to beet

Or pomegranate.

Or cranberry, real cranberries, not the juice. I use cranberries in a hot ginger cider I make in the winter. It's not carbed, but the cranberries turn it redd(er) and the flavor they add blends very well with the ginger. In fact, if the ginger is strong enough, you hardly notice the cranberry, expect for the smell.

...the cranberries turn it redd(er) and the flavor they add blends very well with the ginger. In fact, if the ginger is strong enough, you hardly notice the cranberry, expect for the smell.

Good call on that one. Cranberries didn't even cross my mind, but that sounds like a winning combo. I wonder how that'll fare in the fermentation.

Good call on that one. Cranberries didn't even cross my mind, but that sounds like a winning combo. I wonder how that'll fare in the fermentation.

I've made cranberry wine before....came out alright...it was basically cranberries, water, sugar and yeast, very tart.

Back