Natural Gas Flex Hose in Backyard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerkbag

Reaction score
Hi All,

I was thinking of getting natural gas run to my backyard where I brew, and had a question: do all of you brewing with natural gas have more or less permanent setups? Depending on the weather I sometimes brew on the deck, other times in the yard. With gas would have to decide and commit to having the burner in the same spot whenever I brew? Or is it practical / safe to be moving a flex hose around as you like? For aesthetics I would probably want to keep the hose hidden away and bring out only when brewing.

Thanks!

just install a quick connect fitting at your stub. they make hoses of several lengths to run to your brew stand/burner. you can convert your existing burners by drilling them out - no real need to by new orifices. natural gas runs @ 7 inches water column & propane runs @ 11"; hence NG using a larger orifice due to the lower pressure. say goodbye to filling your propane bottles & hello to much cheaper fuel prices.

you can also run the line quite easily by yourself. just install a T behind the outlet of your meter & run black iron piping along the side of your house at least 3.5" above grade. 3/4" diameter pipe would be plenty sufficient. alternatively, you could buy 2 risers & dig a 12" (minimum) deep trench from your meter to where you want to brew. drop 1 riser in the ground by the meter & run 3/4" polyethylene pipe to the other riser where you want your gas stub. Be sure to call 811 for free locates prior to digging - they will have paint on the ground within 48hrs for you.

Back