Natural carbonation indicator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rattletrap1970

Here to get my Learn on.
Reaction score
Wondering about something. Whether it's been done and if not, would it work. If I took a Grolsch Bottle and replaced the glass stopper with a plastic one, then drilled through the center and tapped it 1/8-27 NPT and affixed a 0-30 PSI pressure gauge. Then, when I bottle my beer I use this bottle also. I'm wondering if it would give me an idea of the carbonation I could expect when I opened my beer. Yes, I know all about kegging, my question does not pertain to that. I'm just wondering if it would work. Or if anyone has done it.

I think a number of people here have done it but with using a plastic soda bottle and the plastic cap to mount a pressure gauge to.

Yeah, in my opinion, too much variables with the plastic bottle thing. I think the grolsch bottles would have the tendency to be more accurate.

It's in dutch, but here are a lot of possible solutions.
Do note that the first one uses pegs. Those pegs go into the holes that are used for the cage on grolsch bottles.

Wondering about something. Whether it's been done and if not, would it work. If I took a Grolsch Bottle and replaced the glass stopper with a plastic one, then drilled through the center and tapped it 1/8-27 NPT and affixed a 0-30 PSI pressure gauge. Then, when I bottle my beer I use this bottle also. I'm wondering if it would give me an idea of the carbonation I could expect when I opened my beer. Yes, I know all about kegging, my question does not pertain to that. I'm just wondering if it would work. Or if anyone has done it.

Yep. It works really well. Mine is a plastic bottle but the numbers come out exactly the same as with glass.

The parts come from McMaster-Carr.

2684K19 Miniature Stainless Steel Threaded Pipe Fitting, 1/8 Pipe X 10-32 Thread Size, Reducing Adapter

3847K71 Multipurpose Gauge, Plastic Case, 1-1/2" Dial, 1/8 NPT Bottom, 0-60 PSI

23617579951_44c6bebdb0_z.jpg

Back