Natural Carbonation in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeastieboy

Reaction score
Hefe with yeast starter had a nice vigorous fermentation finishing at 1.016. I racked to keg after 10 days with 4 oz of corn sugar. Purged with CO2. Set the fermenter at 68F and hooked up my new spunding valve to the gas in port. I expected to see pressure start to climb after 24-48 hours but nothing. It has now been 5 days and the pressure is only at about 3 PSI.

I guess I expected it to climb, thinking I would set the valve to bleed off at about 30 PSI while it naturally carbonated.

I checked for leaks the first time and even tried reseating the keg lid another time to be sure. Sprayed with Starsan. No apparent leaks.

What am I missing here?? It’s my first attempt ay naturally carbing in the keg so I’m guessing there is something I don’t understand...

Thanks!

Our takes 2 weeks or so to carb a bottle using sugar, wouldn’t it be the same in a keg?

The initial co2, was not enough to fully carb the keg

Our takes 2 weeks or so to carb a bottle using sugar, wouldn’t it be the same in a keg?

The initial co2, was not enough to fully carb the keg

Yes, I accept it probably takes 2-4 weeks to carbonate. My confusion is more with the fact that there doesn’t appear to be a building head pressure in the sealed keg.

My hefes are carbed in three to four days. But with speise. Did you seal the lid with co2? If not maybe the lid is not 100% sealed and you got a leak through there?

My hefes are carbed in three to four days. But with speise. Did you seal the lid with co2? If not maybe the lid is not 100% sealed and you got a leak through there?

Sealed with keg lube and seated (twice) with CO2. Do you monitor the pressure in the keg when naturally carbonating? How high does it get?

Sealed with keg lube and seated (twice) with CO2. Do you monitor the pressure in the keg when naturally carbonating? How high does it get?

I don't naturally carb in kegs, but when fermenting I use a spunding valve with a manometer.

Did you set the spunding valve before you attatched it? Like, it was not fully closed?

Did you set the spunding valve before you attatched it? Like, it was not fully closed?

I did set it to 30 psi. However, this was the first time I used it. I had never preformed a long term pressure test on my final assembly. Yesterday, I had an epiphany that maybe the spunding assembly was leaking somewhere. So I disconnected it from the keg post and today I’m at 5 PSI, up from near 1. If it continues to climb, maybe there is indeed a leak in my spunding assembly.

Bummer is, the corn sugar was in the beer for nearly a week before I realized this. Hopefully there’s enough left to carbonate it. Otherwise, back to CO2. At least there won’t be any O2 left in the beer... [emoji51]

Back