Natural aging or oxidation ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi,
As many of you I've developed quite a taste for beers full of hops.
The last few brews I've made are IPAs, loaded with late and dry hop additions, but not too bitter altogether (~40-60 perceived IBUs usually).

Beers are very drinkable right after bottle carbonation and after a few weeks the aroma tends to fade away.

I am on the tail end of a batch that was bottled 12 weeks ago and although still enjoyable, the bitterness has changed from a really nice balance hitting you at the very back of the palate to a more harsh, perhaps less enjoyable bitterness sensation.

The beer in these old bottles has not change color compared to 12 weeks ago which makes me think oxidation has not been a massive factor. The beer looks crystal clear, not even getting the chill haze I usually do get.

So, this change of bitterness perception, is that normal? What's happening?

Thanks

This loss of hop aroma is normal in that amount of time. I've seen people claim that attempting to reduce the beer's exposure to oxygen will prolong the flavor but I haven't tried to minimize that, just make smaller batches so they are drunk up before they lose the aroma. Here's an ongoing discussion of low dissolved oxygen beer.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=599902

Back