Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I'm readingit wrong but wouldn't it make sense based on those ima-es to have reversed wires vs straight? The pins look eight but the order is backwards on each board? Not sure if it necessarily solves that problem I'm seeing but am I just reading the diagrams wrong?

Im stumped on the sensors. The screen, maybe it's a bad 8266? Or I could try reflashing it entirely. Just weird that it reports to the web but not the screen. So the processor is working but jot communicating with the pin?

Apologies - I see it now!

I don’t know what to tell you. :(.

Have you tried running the wiring test firmware with the LCD attached?
i loaded the sensor test and wifi reset - it appears it ran, the relay clicked on and off for both hot and cold, no change in the screen - how do i find the log for this?

i loaded the sensor test and wifi reset - it appears it ran, the relay clicked on and off for both hot and cold, no change in the screen - how do i find the log for this?

The output is to the LCD screen itself, unfortunately... I see you’re using the “spark fun” style board - are you sure you have the high and low voltage sides on correctly? That’s the only other idea I have...

The output is to the LCD screen itself, unfortunately... I see you’re using the “spark fun” style board - are you sure you have the high and low voltage sides on correctly? That’s the only other idea I have...
thanks. yes it matches the pcb alignment

I realized now that I have two setups so I can swap components around, the issue with board 1 is with the level shifting board. Swapping that out fixes the issue. Resoldering that board leaves the same issue, so I fried something soldering it or it was always bad. New board will fix it!

On the sensor issue, I took a closer look at the pcbs now for the Rj11 jack and if the holes are supposed to match on either side of the Rj11 cable they definitely don't. D7 on the main PCB goes to the matching pin of 3v3 on the breakout. D6 matches to GND. GND goes to Data. Using the top of the board as the reference.

I put a couple dupont pins into the traced holes. Facing down is the matching 3v3 holes. Pointy end up is the data hole. Seems like something was mirrored? I'm trying to logic out if I can still use the Jacks or if it's easier just to dupont them together manually

Attachments

• 15752094288207614483748765981853.jpg
    15752094288207614483748765981853.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Hi - I am new to this thread but currently use a ‘Legacy’ BrewPi (RPi + Arduino) solution for my fermentation temperature control. I am looking to build a new chamber and see that there is this ESP8266 hosted solution.

I love what I am reading here but like all long threads in Forums, it is difficult to cut to the chase, buy the parts needed - including circuit boards if available and build the controller. Then what are the steps needed to flash the code and configure it? Is there a link to a ‘how to’ guide anywhere?

Thanks,

Paul

Hi - I am new to this thread but currently use a ‘Legacy’ BrewPi (RPi + Arduino) solution for my fermentation temperature control. I am looking to build a new chamber and see that there is this ESP8266 hosted solution.

I love what I am reading here but like all long threads in Forums, it is difficult to cut to the chase, buy the parts needed - including circuit boards if available and build the controller. Then what are the steps needed to flash the code and configure it? Is there a link to a ‘how to’ guide anywhere?

Thanks,

Paul

FYI - Hold off on ordering any boards - I'm working on some replacements that will be up later tonight. I'll try to get you an actual answer to this question as well.

This is very true! I've been trying for awhile to work on getting better documentation together - for now, most of what you need is in the project documentation available on GitHub. To get started, there are two decisions you need to make:

First Question - How do you want to connect your temperature sensors to your main "controller" PCB?

There are two options:
  1. Directly to the main controller PCB - This is the cheapest option, but will restrict how far from your main controller PCB you can have your fermenter
  2. Using a "sensor breakout" PCB - Your DS18b20 temperature sensors will be connected to a separate PCB which then in turn connects to the controller PCB via a cable. The advantage to this is that it allows you to place the "sensor breakout" very close to your fermenter (potentially inside your fermentation chamber if necessary). (This is what I recommend)
As a side note - if you want to go the "sensor breakout" route, let me know - I've got a stack of these things and would be happy to sell you one if you're interested:

1219C6C9-0918-4470-9651-B13D2CD31916.jpeg

Second Question - What main "controller" PCB do you want to use?

There are a bunch of options here - so long as you are going the "sensor breakout" route. I've got a list of the options here on GitHub.

Whichever option you decide, post back here and I'll get the BOM for that option up to date. Also, if you decide to go the "solder temp sensors directly to the main controller" route, post that as well, and I'll get you a better board drafted up.

Last edited:
As a side note - based on the trouble you were having @chucknorris101 I decided to spend today going through and revamping all of the board schematics. It won't help you out since you already have your boards, unfortunately, but hopefully it will help out newcomers to the project.

The main changes I made were:
  • Remove ALL RJ-11 connectors in favor of RJ-45 (this will mostly eliminate the crossover vs. straight issue)
  • Redesign all the boards (except the no-LCD board) to use the same basic screw "footprint" (they will all now fit the 3D printable case I posted awhile back)
  • Update the hardware on the "sparkfun" boards to the latest version of their level converter
  • Add logos to everything (look at that sexy gold logo up above!)
  • Add/update Eagle board/schematic files to the repo
  • Updated all the resistors for OneWire to 4.7k
Everything is available for order at pcbs.io - let me know if you have any issues!

Last edited:
I may steal this for the documentation

Steal Away. If you want a pic without my mark up, let me know.

The RJ45 jacks were the last pieces I needed. When they arrived and wouldn’t line up with the PCBs...OMGosh, I was crushed!

Would one of you mind explaining the difference?

The "bad" one has the pins on the bottom, so you would have to insert the cable upside-down. The "good" one has the pins on the top.

In addition to having the pin orientation reversed, the footprint on the board is different between the two, so you can't physically mistake them for one another. Good for preventing shorts - bad if you buy the wrong one and can't build your board!

Because I bought these RJ12 jacks for a separate project and was just wondering...

31+8AW-qaHL.jpg

ETA: I actually bought these for a breakout board that I created for my BrewPi. On that the breakout is labeled 1-6, so it really doesn't matter for that. I was just curious.

Thanks for all your work for this!!

Looking forward to getting my replacement level shifter from Amazon shortly. A bit pricier than alibaba but at this point... I'm still waiting on my second lcd. Bah!

As a side note - based on the trouble you were having @chucknorris101 I decided to spend today going through and revamping all of the board schematics. It won't help you out since you already have your boards, unfortunately, but hopefully it will help out newcomers to the project.

The main changes I made were:
  • Remove ALL RJ-11 connectors in favor of RJ-45 (this will mostly eliminate the crossover vs. straight issue)
  • Redesign all the boards (except the no-LCD board) to use the same basic screw "footprint" (they will all now fit the 3D printable case I posted awhile back)
  • Update the hardware on the "sparkfun" boards to the latest version of their level converter
  • Add logos to everything (look at that sexy gold logo up above!)
  • Add/update Eagle board/schematic files to the repo
  • Updated all the resistors for OneWire to 4.7k
Everything is available for order at pcbs.io - let me know if you have any issues!
Will the older RJ11 boards be available? I placed an order for RJ11 boards last week and still have not received them. I tried to search for the board I ordered and did not see it. I have RJ11 temperature sensors already so would rather not change to the RJ45 if possible.

Will the older RJ11 boards be available? I placed an order for RJ11 boards last week and still have not received them. I tried to search for the board I ordered and did not see it. I have RJ11 temperature sensors already so would rather not change to the RJ45 if possible.
Yep - they should all still be available. Which one are you not seeing (and where are you not seeing it)?

Yep - they should all still be available. Which one are you not seeing (and where are you not seeing it)?

Awesome! This one. I could not find it in the GitHub fermentrack documentation. When I searched “fermentrack” and “Thorrak” on the pcbs.io website it did not show up.

Double checked my order and shows “in fabrication” so I guess I am still good to go.

D1 Breakout - No LCD TH Screws

Attachments

• 2A74F0C7-5623-4BE2-B022-54A85250706C.jpeg
    2A74F0C7-5623-4BE2-B022-54A85250706C.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 35
Awesome! This one. I could not find it in the GitHub fermentrack documentation. When I searched “fermentrack” and “Thorrak” on the pcbs.io website it did not show up.

Double checked my order and shows “in fabrication” so I guess I am still good to go.

D1 Breakout - No LCD TH Screws

I’ll have to get the board descriptions edited at PCBs.io to make them more easily searchable - sorry about that. That said, any orders that were already submitted will still be fabricated as ordered. The new boards are just new, additional options.

I’m working on a separate repo for all of the hardware designs I have for this project which will include the legacy boards. It should be released later this month in conjunction with my latest project. For now, you can see all the old board designs by referencing an older commit on GitHub:

https://github.com/thorrak/brewpi-esp8266/tree/724ef3501b7263aa0d5e884a54239747bd87ca2c

Here is everything tagged “Fermentrack” on PCBs.io: https://pcbs.io/search?tag=fermentrack

That should include both the new and historic boards.

Hi Thorrak. I've been looking at doing a Fermentrack build for a long time. Amazing contribution.

I'm having problems creating an order from pcbs.io... every time I attempt there is a problem processing the payment. Is there another way to get the boards?

Also, minor point.. on Github the the links for the sensor boards lead to the other board (if you know what I mean) i.e the RJ45 link leads to the board for the RJ11 and vice versa.

Hi Thorrak. I've been looking at doing a Fermentrack build for a long time. Amazing contribution.

I'm having problems creating an order from pcbs.io... every time I attempt there is a problem processing the payment. Is there another way to get the boards?

Also, minor point.. on Github the the links for the sensor boards lead to the other board (if you know what I mean) i.e the RJ45 link leads to the board for the RJ11 and vice versa.

Thanks for the heads up on the RJ45/RJ11 link switch - I'll take care of that when I get home.

You can order the PCBs from any fab you want - the .brd and .sch files in the repo can be uploaded to OSHPark easily (and can be converted to gerbers for use with other manufacturers). OSHPark is a bit more expensive, but produces pretty purple PCBs, very quickly. :)

Thanks for all your help! still waiting on screen 2, but both controllers are now working and recording with replaced level shifter and manual breakout connectors! one question, i remember somewhere about glycol settings, where can i find that/what do i need to change?

one weird thing. the lcd wont initialize with a bad or missing level shifter, but will read fine if removed under power....

Hi guys,
I read through the whole forum now and tried a clean installation of Fermentrack. I run a winery and I need process cooling for my fermentation tanks. I use standard china thermostates with NTC and 12V ball valves at the moment.
I plan to set up a digital solution now and searching for the right software for a long time.
So I thought about using Fermentrack to setup the cooling controllers for about 50 tanks. But I'm not sure yet if Fermentrack is the right solution for that.
I think there's no point in using 50 ESP controllers with 12v relay, is there a solution to use like a onewire relay board with 16 relays on one ESP8266? Do you think it's possible to run a 16ch relay board with one ESP8266 with 16 DS18B20 connected to one ESP8266?
Actually all I want is to log fermentation temperatures and control different fermentation temperatures for different tanks...
Do you have any suggestions for me?

Thanks for your answers!

Cheers from Germany, Matt

Last edited:
Greetings, @maddel, and welcome to HBT! :mug:

BrewPi, Fermentrack and similar systems really were designed to address single chambers and thus scale poorly (or at least rather uneconomically). Depending on the system chosen one can connect a single host system to multiple chamber controllers but the host presentation still appears single-instance. I run four chambers controlled by Unos and managed by a single RaspberryPi host, which isn't much of an issue, but you'd have to paw through 50 screens worth of status to know what's going on in your 50 fermentors.

I would take a look at BruControl https://brucontrol.com/
To be honest I don't know for sure if it offers a more sane way of dealing with such a large fleet of devices but it's worth checking out...

Cheers!

Thanks for all your help! still waiting on screen 2, but both controllers are now working and recording with replaced level shifter and manual breakout connectors! one question, i remember somewhere about glycol settings, where can i find that/what do i need to change?

one weird thing. the lcd wont initialize with a bad or missing level shifter, but will read fine if removed under power....

Glycol settings aren't in yet. Some people have reported success tweaking their settings to get effective glycol support using just "fridge constant" mode, but it's not officially supported - yet. I ordered one of these things - once it gets delivered I plan (after testing it out!) to tear into it and try to replace its controller with something that can integrate into Fermentrack. ;)

Hi guys,
I read through the whole forum now and tried a clean installation of Fermentrack. I run a winery and I need process cooling for my fermentation tanks. I use standard china thermostates with NTC and 12V ball valves at the moment.
I plan to set up a digital solution now and searching for the right software for a long time.
So I thought about using Fermentrack to setup the cooling controllers for about 50 tanks. But I'm not sure yet if Fermentrack is the right solution for that.
I think there's no point in using 50 ESP controllers with 12v relay, is there a solution to use like a onewire relay board with 16 relays on one ESP8266? Do you think it's possible to run a 16ch relay board with one ESP8266 with 16 DS18B20 connected to one ESP8266?
Actually all I want is to log fermentation temperatures and control different fermentation temperatures for different tanks...
Do you have any suggestions for me?

As @day_trippr noted, Fermentrack (and other BrewPi-based solutions) were originally designed with one microcontroller per fermenter in mind. While Fermentrack added the ability to see/control multiple fermenters at once, it only solved the problem from the perspective of the web interface -- there still is the expectation that each fermenter has its own microcontroller.

The benefit Fermentrack provides in this instance (vs. classic BrewPi at least) is that it does provide screens that allow for reviewing multiple controllers at once. While I'm unfortunately not at home where I can grab a screenshot of what it looks like, the main "dashboard" of Fermentrack shows and allows the control of all of your temperature control devices at once. The data is available in condensed form (panels instead of graphs) but the main functionality is available from a single screen.

As I posted last week, I've been going through each of the PCBs I have designed for this project (with@LBussy and @gromitdj 's help (and @day_trippr even though he might not realize it!)) and am looking to get one additional line of PCBs added that specifically have provisions for ditching the sensor board and connecting 2-3 temperature sensors directly to the controller board itself. That said, a question/request for help:

For those of you who don't use a sensor breakout board, what are you using to hook your temperature sensors up?

I'm looking for something that meets the following criteria, and haven't managed to find the right thing just yet:
  • Inexpensive/readily available
  • Easily installed onto a controller board (e.g. short runs of wire, something where the jack directly attaches to the PCB, etc.)
  • Easily installed onto DS18b20 temp sensors (not RJ-11)
  • Supports the 3 wires necessary for DS18b20 sensors to work
While I'm pretty happy with the sensor board in my personal builds, I'd like to offer an easy solution for anyone who might not be, so any help that you guys can provide would be much appreciated!

Back