National Homebrew Competition 2019

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's promising, at least some activity. Hopefully they'll load the Philly winners then soon.

Two going through from Philly, Czech Dark Lager and a Helles! Good thing I was already rebrewing the Czech Dark this weekend anyway! Some grain bill and hop changes from first version. Will have to brew the Helles next week.

Congrats everyone! Neither of my entries made it through this year, which I was kind of hoping for because I don't really have time to re-brew either of them right now!

Fortunately, my beer was long in the bottle for aging as it was (American strong) I set aside two bottles just in case I got lucky. Seems that has happened. Will cellar at cool but not cold temps until time to send in for next step.

Does anybody know what the entry shipping deadline is for the final round? I can't seem to find it easily on the NHC site.

Does anybody know what the entry shipping deadline is for the final round? I can't seem to find it easily on the NHC site.

Screenshot_20190417-130158_Chrome.jpg

Scored 41 on my german pils and got some great feedback on my other entry, but didn't advance to the finals. Competition is tough in the US!

That’s really unfortunate you didn’t advance but congrats on the great score! Definitely something to be proud of.

Thanks AZ IPA. Have to re-brew 3 beers between now and then...I didn't plan this well.

My two beers both scored 31. No advancing, but at least I get the certificates lol. Cleveland score sheets got emailed today.

Obsessively refreshing my inbox for my scoresheets now... lol. San Diego. Neither of my entries advanced but I thought they were pretty solid and I'm dying to see what the judges thought.

Has anybody ever placed 2nd or 3rd in the first round and done better in the second round?

Has anybody ever placed 2nd or 3rd in the first round and done better in the second round?

two years ago I had a standard cider come in 3rd in the first round, out of 7 entries, but it made mini-bos in the finals and was 5th, out of the 36 final round entries, which was far better in my opinion ( though not 'officially' an improvement )

IMO, the judging at the second round is really the best there is (and the toughest) in the first round you will always have some less experienced judges alongside pros, and you have a much smaller pool of entries to beat in certain less popular categories, (anything under 36 entries -) so there can be some variation due to opinions of taste and judges experience, but at the second round you have the top judges from all over the country coming together AND you have 33 other entries to beat in order to place.

It would be quite something if an entry placed 1st or 2nd after getting 2nd or 3rd, especially in the popular categories

Still waiting on Boston. Killing me!!! Coming up with scenarios like them screwing up and it was another beer that placed, them just figuring it out, and now trying to figure out how to address the guy that should have placed.....

Just got my San Diego scoresheets. Really good notes from the judges - best I've had in an NHC.

Still waiting on Boston. Killing me!!! Coming up with scenarios like them screwing up and it was another beer that placed, them just figuring it out, and now trying to figure out how to address the guy that should have placed.....

Hi

You should have gotten them via email directly from John Morehead, they were emailed on April 16th check your spam folder

each score sheet is a separate email and looks like this and come from [email protected]

Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 8.04.52 PM.png

Hi

You should have gotten them via email directly from John Morehead, they were emailed on April 16th check your spam folde

each score sheet is a separate email and looks like this and come from [email protected]

View attachment 623610

I will have to email him then. Checked spam folder and is not there
I have had a few folks lately that could not reach me by my email and it wound up being filtered out at a higher level than my spam filter

Back