Nasty Old Hopped IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oakbarn

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Leaf Hops in Pump.

I have a Chugger Pump that would not work yesterday. Fortunately I have a "spare" so I was able to finish my brew. This morning I took the pump apart and it was solidly clogged with leaf hops. My brew buddy put some loose leaf hops in our last brew and it looks like some made it into the pump. We have used bagged pellet hops for years and never had a real issue. I have checked the pumps every few brews but this was a first. Looked like a chewed up cigar. I thought there was some kind of "gasket" in the inlet as I could not see any light when looking. I removed a TC fitting that was screwed on the Center Inlet and took a tooth pick and grabbed some of the old hops. Keep digging and digging and got a little mound of old hops out. We have made "Sneaker in the Brew" and "Mud Daubber Ale", maybe I will call this "Nasty Old Hopped IPA"!:ban:

Brutal. Probably still better than Cigarette in the Pale though....

I use both a bazooka tube and a false bottom for this reason.

Back